The first inkling that all was not well.

Had any paranormal experiences? Know of anyone who has? Want to know about types of ghosts & theories of what they are? Discuss these here. Ask any advice if you need it.

The first inkling that all was not well.

Postby Wraith6 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:02 am

My introduction to the paranormal came in my pre-teens when a poltergeist arrived in our big old council house; although I didn't know that's what it was at the time. It began one sunny day as I stood by the sideboard in our living room and my mother entered from the kitchen and accused my dad of taking the cutlery. My dad strongly refuted this and left me bemused as to what was going on? A few days later the cutlery was found on the floor behind an armchair, lined up in a precise fashion according to size. Next to disappear were the tea towels from the cupboard; this caused further accusations. Once again the missing items turned up on the floor behind the same armchair neatly piled up. I began to worry that one or other of my parents were losing their marbles because I knew I wasn't the one causing the problem.
As if tiring of these games, the poltergeist then began to focus on me. Both my parents worked weekday nights so I was usually alone in the house in the evenings. One night I went to bed and as soon as my head hit the pillow there was a massive bang on the floorboards level with my head. It absolutely petrified me and was such a heavy crash that it actually shook the bed. It sounded as if a blacksmiths anvil had been dropped from the ceiling, yet I knew there was nothing that could fall in my bedroom that could come close to such a scary bang. After remaining frozen with fear for quite awhile, not even daring to open my eyes, I eventually plucked up the courage to flee the bedroom. When my parents arrived home they found me sleeping on the settee. Fearing they would think less of me I decided not to reveal the real reason for my departure from upstairs and fobbed them off with a nightmare fib. After that incident I was under no illusions that something was abroad in the house.
The occurrence that impressed me the most happened one night after I`d been playing 20-a-side football over the local park with my mates. The council had cut the grass during the afternoon so everyone was covered in grass clippings. As I undressed for bed I distinctly remember noting the mass of grass cuttings that fell from my clothes; they were even in my pants! As I always did I just chucked everything in an untidy heap on top of a small chest of drawers and went to bed. Someone or something must have been watching me as I smiled at all the grass cuttings and took note. Next morning when I awoke the first thing in my eyeline was the chest of drawers. My clothes were no longer piled up on top...HUH? I wondered why my mother should enter my bedroom during the night? She`d never done it before? Then I remembered that I ALWAYS locked my door and glanced at it to check...it was still firmly bolted. Determined to get to the bottom of it I swung myself out of bed and immediately spotted my clothes. They had been placed precisely in a pyramid on the floor level with my head. Each item of clothing had been crisply folded and placed according to size with my socks sitting neatly on top with not a grass cutting in sight; despite the fact I`d seen scores the night before.
This incident more than any other made a huge impression on me. Thereafter I knew that I wasn`t alone at night. I kept picturing my clothes floating across the room during the night then folding and cleaning themselves of cuttings. Even this event I kept to myself. Later, it seemed as though my mother was more aware of things than she let on. One night there were just the two of us in the house. Appropriately it was a dark, rainy night with loud thunder overhead. Completely out of character she produced an Ouija board and suggested a sitting. I was taken aback as it was so unlike her. I can only assume that she had come to the same conclusion as me and wanted answers to what was happening. I dutifully volunteered to ask the dreaded question “Is there anybody there?” The pointer responded immediately and with alarming urgency. My mother and I watched with trepidation as it zoomed to each letter and number. Fearful of what was coming through next our session suddenly came to an end when a visitor of the human variety entered and switched the lights on. Next day I watched from an upstairs window as on my mothers orders dad burnt the Ouija board in our back garden. Despite this I continued to be freaked out on a regular basis well into my teens.
Years later I discovered that poltergeists often arrange things precisely in neat rows which strikes a cord with me. Whatever the cause, this wasn`t to be my last brush with the paranormal.

George
Wraith6

Re: The first inkling that all was not well.

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Wow! All I can say is that if the activity started after you tried the Ouija board(an item that I strongly disapprove of)then you'd have your answer. But sounds like you have a "neat freak" for a poltergeist. Maybe somebody's mother, now passed over, who was always telling her kids to pick up after themselves?

You kind of left us dangling-what happened after that? Did the activity fade away or stop? Tell us more, please, this is a fascinating account!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:11 am

Hi George

What a brilliant account there, and very well written, I was riveted so thanks for sharing!

Sounds very interesting indeed
I'm wondering if all this phenomena went on for a short while, months maybe and just fizzled out, or did it go on for years, off and on? If the latter, then I'd say it's a haunting rather than a poltergeist, which typically are a set of random phenomena with a start and finish that will cease after a duration. Hauntings on the other hand are associated with a spirit that lingers and causes various phenomena, some of them as like a polt if they choose to, and with other aspects such as presence etc.
Did you find anything out about the house that may tell you what it was or why it happened?

Your description of the loud bang: I experienced this while I was alone in the house after my mother died. I was trying to sleep in an upstairs room, and was bothered by something , as if a spirit was hanging around me that was trying to get attention by mimicking my mother's identity. Missing her, I had been reaching out and wanting to contact my mother, and something had been hanging around, but at that point I just became aware that whoever was there, was not her. At the point I realised this, it sort of became nasty and flung negative images at me of an evil looking being to try to scare me. I then basically told it to get lost and got angry, telling it to leave me and the house. All this may sound crazy but it was quite profound and charged at the time.

As soon as I did that, told it to leave with emphasis, there was a massive crash in the room below me, which was the kitchen. It sounded like a massive object had been dropped and smashed onto the kitchen benches,... I even described it as "like an anvil" to someone later on, so that's interesting that you should use the same phrase.
I got up and went downstairs, expecting to find damage or something alarming had happened in the kitchen, but there was nothing wrong, no damage, no disturbance at all.

However, I didn't get bothered by whoever or whatever that entity was any more, gone!
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby martin1985 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm

I enjoyed reading your account Wraith6, Please do tell more :smile:
martin1985

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Interesting story
You know ,I think some ghosts are a bit show offy
The bit about the loud crash next to where you were laying
Gitm,s story about telling the thing to leave and then there was a loud crash
It's like they a being really dramatic and flouncing off like some school kid that's been told off
One of the things living ,sorry I mean present in my house in Plymouth,clumped really slowly all the way up four sections of stairs till the noise stopped outside my bedroom door
I realised the other day that whatever it was had probably been watching too much telly
Scooby doo or carry on films
I also told it to clear off with all that rubbish and behave and I think it's the same thing that later turned into a bit of a joker
Roger

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:30 pm

:-D I like your take on it Roger! Yes, they are just people, and behave in a big miff sometimes and want to create a bit of drama! :D
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Wraith6 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I always assumed our house had a double whammy: the spirit of an ex-tenant in situ and a shorter tenancy from a wandering poltergeist. This was mainly due to their distinct differences in behaviour. Maybe they were one and the same entity as suggested because it did seem fairly constant right up until I left home.
From day one after we moved in, even as a toddler, I was acutely aware that the house had a split personality; with an atmosphere that could change within a few paces, especially upstairs. I always felt unwelcome in one of the four bedrooms in particular and could never fathom why this was; it was even south facing so was mostly bright and sunny. My sister moved into it for a time and would have awful nightmares. All the poltergeist weirdness started when it became my bedroom.
It was a relief to know that my `crashing anvil` noise has been doing the rounds (GITM). Although it was something you could well have done without at that sad time.
Our previous house had been condemned by the council and like magic we were given this house on a nearby estate. It was one of the better houses so yes, I would imagine someone must have passed away for it to be available. Looking back now, it seems that the property wasn't strictly empty and some essence of the previous occupants seems to have remained. How this could be I don't know but it seems likely somehow.
I once set up a temporary darkroom in my bedroom but had to stop because I was so unnerved by the experience. I've never been afraid of the dark in my life but the feeling of an unseen presence with me made the bedroom impossible to work in. When I moved operations across the landing and into the bathroom it was even worse! One night with the house in complete darkness and alone in my newly re-located darkroom I heard someone coming up the stairs. I knew this without a shadow of doubt because of two loose risers that meant footfalls on either sent up a loud creak. One of these steps was near the bottom, the other just after the mini-landing beside the bathroom door. I knew my parents weren't in and all the doors were locked so assumed a burglar had broken in. I also knew after climbing the stairs a million times myself that if someone really WAS coming up the stairs the second riser creak would definitely confirm this when they stepped on it. Heart beating in my chest I listened for the second creak...there it was loud and clear! Every sense in my body was now telling me that someone had stopped outside the bathroom door as if they KNEW I was there. Just like with the previous `anvil` experience I was temporarily frozen. An unknown terror lurked outside and this was the moment of truth...I stormed out ready to fight I knew not what? The landing, indeed the whole house, was empty and still. Yet something had triggered those two stiff, creaky steps? Steps that only a medium to heavy weight could cause to creak. Our Labrador could go up and down all day and not trigger them. For the first time I wondered: how can ghosts have a body weight? It didn't seem logical to my cold, calculating Capricorn brain. But I know one thing; it wasn't a human being that night. This fright also caused me to shift my darkroom yet again, this time to the kitchen. I gave up in the end...it was just too unsettling.

George
Wraith6

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Interesting stuff George
You know it sounded like the thing making the stair boards creek knew exactly what noises needed to happen to get your shackles up
It took me a long time before I realised some of these things just feed off our own fear
It seems to amuse them or something
Roger

Postby Fenner76 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:58 pm

This is a very interesting account. The part about the very loud noise is what I experienced in a bungalow I used to live in, back in the 80's. That place had a very uneasy vibe to it and in one instance, a massive crash in the kitchen late one night, as if a unit had fallen off the wall and smashed. We checked the next morning and totally nothing was out of place. We used to experience things such as something rushing past us in the hallway, clothing being tugged and the smell of cigars in the house, even though none of us smoked?
"You can't hunt what doesn't exist Mr Mallory..."
"Well that's just it. We think we have one that does".
Fenner76

Return to Paranormal & Ghostly Experiences