The Hairy Hands of Dartmoor

Had any paranormal experiences? Know of anyone who has? Want to know about types of ghosts & theories of what they are? Discuss these here. Ask any advice if you need it.

Re: The Hairy Hands of Dartmoor

Postby Chatelaine » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:58 am

Hairy Hands I've sent you a PM ;-)
Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:08 pm

I've just found an early account of this apparition in a book.

From the Weston Daily Press, 9 October 1921 under the heading Another Dartmoor Phantom?

"Dartmoor may have a real-life phantom to match the ghostly dog. the Hound of the Baskervilles in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic Sherlock Holmes adventure. In June, a medical officer at Dartmoor Prison was riding his motorcycle across a wild moorland road from Two Bridges to Postbridge. He had two children in the sidecar and as he drove down towards the bridge crossing the East Dart he suddenly shouted to the children to jump clear. They managed to scramble clear as the motorcycle swerved off the road and was smashed to pieces. The doctor was killed instantly. Last week, another motorcyclist was riding home on the same road. He arrived in a dazed condition and his motorcycle badly damaged. Requesting that his name was not published, but insisting his story was true, the man told our reporter: "As I drove down the hill I felt a pair of rough, hairy hands close over my own on the handlebars. They dragged me off the road. I remember nothing after that until I regained consciousness and found I was lying very close to the spot where the doctor had died."
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:32 pm

Good one Spirit Bear! I remember when Hairy Hands first posted this, looking up the stories on the internet and there were many instances like this and similar experiences. It really does seem like a story to rival the Hound of the Baskervilles indeed. Knowing Dartmoor and the area, it would be a pretty terrifying encounter indeed!!

Hope Hairy Hands comes back to chat about this, I think he/she has not been around a while :smile:
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Chatelaine » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Dartmoor is such a mysterious place, so I am sure there are many stories about this area, but I bet not many as creepy as the hairy hands though! Just to let you all know Hairyhands said we can read out his story on ghostpod ;-)
Chatelaine

Postby Chatelaine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 am

A short selection of stories, including some about the Hairy Hands!

Chatelaine

Postby Forager84 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:26 pm

This is a great story Hairy Hands

I literally just got back from a week long trip staying in a 14th century building right in the centre of the Dartmoor. I Think I'm a bit relieved I didn't read this while I was there, as I did a good few night time walks!
I have to say that the whole landscape is beautiful During the day and takes on an incredible eerie feel at night with the mist and moonlight.
I had a read through a book called 'Walking the stories and legends of dartmoor' which is filled with some brilliant old stories and walking routes. Well worth a read whether you live/visit there in person or not.
Would love to hear about any other old stories you have,
keep 'em coming!
Forager84

Postby Chatelaine » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 pm

Sounds like you had a great holiday! The hairy hands is such a great story, there must be more like it from around Dartmoor.
Chatelaine

Postby ThatZealousOne » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 am

I've been on Dartmoor a few times, both driving and on foot. I live quite close and it's certainly not a place you want to lose your way. There's been many cases of people getting lost and killed out there. In fact, I even recall similar kinds of spooky events such as the Demon of Dartmoor, and several 'ghostly' phenomena. Most of which have been ousted as fakes by now, but even so.

I wonder if these 'Hairy Hands' incidents are concentrated in a specific area, or occur around the entire moor. Might point to it being related to something that happened in the area.
ThatZealousOne

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Does anybody know if there is a connection between the Hairy Hands, and the Moors Murders of 1964? They were both in the same locale, I believe.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Tue May 30, 2017 5:13 pm

No where near each other Spirit Bear. The moors murders took place on Saddleworth Moor, which is in Yorkshire in the North of England. We have driven across them a couple of times, but I think you were most probably sleeping at the time :roll: Dartmoor is way down here in the South.
Chatelaine

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Ghostly Experiences