The Ghosts of Salem

Ghost Stories & haunted locations from our members in USA

The Ghosts of Salem

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 pm

When most people think of Salem,Massachusetts,they think of witches in high,pointy hats,riding broomsticks against the backdrop of a full moon. It is an image that the present day city has done little to discourage,rather the opposite.

It was 1692 when the antics of several silly teenage girls got out of hand,and started a tidal wave of hysteria,hatred,bigotry,and Puritan intolerance that would eventually cost 20 people their lives. The girls odd behavior was blamed on the devil,and soon neighbor was accusing neighbor of witchcraft. Many residents were jailed as accused witches,including a 4 year old girl. :roll: It is these 20 deaths,most of them unjust and based on little or no evidence,that makes Salem such a haunted town.Some of the more notable haunts include:

The Lyceum Restaurant is built on the site of Bridget Bishop's old apple orchard. Bridget was the first to be hanged for witchcraft. She was a local "character",known for her loud dress,and her tendency to speak her mind,both grievous sins in the minds of the ignorant Puritan witch-finders. To this day the loft in the eatery is highly active,and no member of staff will go up there unless absolutely forced to. One PN investigator who attempted to mount the stairs to the loft to investigate a creaking noise was violently pushed when she had nearly reached the top. A film crew attempting to document the haunting were foiled when every battery on every single piece of their recording equipment was drained of energy,a common phenomena that happens to many PN groups,including Everything Ghost.

Next up is the Joshua Ward House,erected in 1784, which may be home to the ghost of Sheriff George Corwin. The Ward house was erected on the foundations of Corwin's home. Corwin was one of the most detested people in Salem. He was a cruel man who orchestrated the arrest of villagers accused of witchcraft. Many of these were incarcerated in the cellar of Corwin's home,and he is alledged to have tortured many of them,trying to get confessions. He also stole the victims belongings after they were hanged on Gallows Hill. When Corwin died,he was buried in the celler of his home,to prevent his numerous enemies from desecrating his grave. He was later exhumed,and buried elsewhere,but his malevolent spirit remains,unwilling or unable to leave the spot of his nefarious career.

The Roosevelt Restaurant abuts the oldest cemetary in Salem,where many of the hanged witches,and one of the judges were buried. Numerous reports of objects moving,the apparition of a female spectre,and strange noises are rife here. it is believed that the spirits here are from the nearby graveyard,but who they are,what they want,or why they wander,is unknown.

Lastly is Gallows Hill,a few miles outside Salem. Here is where 19 alledged witches were hanged. Hooded figures have been seen here. Murmering voices,and the gruesome sounds of ropes creaking under a heavy weight and swaying in the wind are heard,tho no ropes are to be seen.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: The Ghosts of Salem

Postby Thebogeyman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 am

I first became aware of the Salem witch trials from a school production of " The Crucible " ( could have been the next Richard Burton :lol: )

Shocking injustice on a par with the events of the Pendle witch trials of 1612.

Thanks for the ghoulish tales from the US ..... just the thing on a rain swept night like tonight :D
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Thebogeyman wrote:I first became aware of the Salem witch trials from a school production of " The Crucible " ( could have been the next Richard Burton :lol: )

Shocking injustice on a par with the events of the Pendle witch trials of 1612.

Thanks for the ghoulish tales from the US ..... just the thing on a rain swept night like tonight :D

Glad you enjoy the tales,Ken,but it would be no compliment to be "the next Richard Burton". In the 1970's,the Medved brothers(film critics)in their book The Golden Turkey Awards nominated him as the worst actor of all times-probably due to his very last movie-The Exorcist 2! But fear not,old Richard will no longer have to bear that title,with all the no-talent bums up there on the screen nowadays,passing themselves off as actors-Jean Clod Van Dumme,Stephen Segal,Arnold the Barbarian,Vin Diesel,Bruce Willis....take yer pick!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Thebogeyman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:42 am

Aye , I would concur with the above sentiments of that particular crew but could never describe Burton as the worst actor of all times , far from it and with 7 Oscar nominations to his credit then there is obviously something there that the Medved Brothers fail to see. His last film was "1984 " where he played Winston Smiths inquisitor and despite his failing health turned in a sterling and chilling performance.

From my understanding , actors will continue to act .... failed actors become critics :( ...... and having checked on the credentials of said Medved he was a stand in for Rush Limbuagh on his chat show ? Guess that is the pinnacle of that individuals career.

No , have to defend the Burton in this instance as far from being the worst actor of all times ( but Exorcist 2 was a clunker , even the presence of Burton would not save that turkey from the Thanksgiving table :lol: )
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 pm

I think Burton was a great actor,also. BTW,the Medveds choice for the Worst Actress of All Time was Raquel Welsh,and their choice for the Worst Movie of All Time was the deathless Plan 9 From Outer Space,longed surpassed for sheer dreadfulness by turkies such as Re-Animator,Pink Flamingos,Ishtar,and a few others that I can't recall. Personally,my pick for the WMoAT is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians! :D :shock:
Spirit Bear

Postby Midnight » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Those poor, poor women :cry:
The truth ALWAYS comes out in the end.
Midnight

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 am

I agree with your sentiments,Karen,but they were not all women. The suspicion of witchcraft has always been a lit match for those ignorant ones who will seize on any pretext to make trouble,pay back real or imaginary slights,the chance to make easy money by a few well-placed accusations in the right ears,or just to leap at the opportunity to see someone die a slow,messy,horrible death,guilty or not. And there are those in power,such as "Hanging Judge" George Jeffries,Matthew Hopkins,the Mathers,father and son,etc. who abused their power by swaying the ignorant and gulliable into swearing away their neighbor's life,convinced that it was "God's" will.
Spirit Bear

Postby Thebogeyman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 am

Could not agree more Tom ..... there is also the matter that they received a fee for every "witch" put out of action so the matter was driven by money than "Gods" will.

As for the Pendle trial .... these women were not witches , in the case of Elizabeth Demdyke she was a harmless healer who may not have been the most sociable of souls. Unfortunately it seems the the ability to make money from these souls persist to this day as the myths regards are repeated to this day on national TV.
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:09 am

Interesting story came out in the media yesterday that scientists and researchers have located the site where the 19 Salem witches were hanged-a rocky outcrop behind the local Walgreens called Proctor's Ledge. There are no plans to erect any kind of monument or memorial at the site.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Great account of the ghosts of this area Spirit Bear, ...also looking forward to hearing your telling of this on the next Ghostpod broadcast!
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Return to American Haunted Locations