True Movies

Discuss your favourite spooky & paranormal movies here

True Movies

Postby Winnie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:29 pm

Thought it would be interesting to look at Paranormal Films be they based loosely or completely on actual events .....

Audrey Rose
Did you know that "Audrey Rose" was inspired by a personal experience ? I have not seen this film in years .......but from memory alone its a 10\10

The author has attributed the idea for the story to be based on an experience he had with his own child. At six years old, De Felitta's son began playing ragtime music on the piano, an instrument he had never learned to play. Convinced that his son's ability was the result of reincarnation, De Felitta began exploring the concept in his writing.

After consulting a Los Angeles occultist, he was told that his son's talent was an "incarnation leak," explaining that the #boy had lived many lifetimes.

An American Haunting
This could have been a brilliant film, great cast, fascinating story but i hated it. Maybe if i had not read the book i could have enjoyed it. But i dont think so ......corker of a Poltergeist case ruined by Hollywood

Winnie

Re: True Movies

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:19 pm

I've never seen the Aubrey Rose one, will have to get that!

I think I have probably seen the American Haunting one, but can't recall it exactly... a memory jog and I would probably.

I've made a task in the last few years of googling all the paranormal films and watching them all, on Lovefilm. I don't like the real horror ones, the demon slashers etc, just the paranormal ones. Mainly because many of the others are just unreal... I like the ones that are more likely.

Based on fact: well, many are, but quite often they add sooo much it becomes laughable. Personally I find a film far creepier and more disturbing if they just leave out the zombies and gore and bodies all over the place or demons and stick to what actually happened; far more interesting and even more frightening.

Ones that spring to mind: A Haunting In Connecticut (was very good til the bodies started coming out the basement walls, ridiculous)

Really good one that's not so easy to get, but can be got on Amazon (and probably Lovefilm by now): When the Lights Went out: based on a true story in Pontefract, we've talked about it elsewhere. One of my favourites (aside from the very end), and one of the few films of this sort I have watched several times over.

GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Winnie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Oh yes he is still there :shock: that very house is open for PI groups btw ;-)

That looks really well done GITM thanks i will have to buy the dvd ..... its about the Pontefract Poltergeist isnt it ?

Like you i am not hot for gore i prefer a good old Ghost story with lots of suspense and if they are based on real cases all the better.

I completely agree re the Haunting in Connecticut the real story is terrifying but Hollywood just went mad and opted for the sensational :? Such a shame its an incredible case. A Haunting done a better job

Like i said i'm not sure how Audrey Rose has aged ? ..... brilliant for its day, ..... with a great cast ...... worth a look x

As for An American Haunting it looks the part i was really looking forward to it but that is where the resemblance to the book ends...... they butchered the story .......
If you have not read The Bell Witch you should ...... The era of the tale is not that long after Salem so its full of superstition, but the notes taken of on what happened are fascinating ...... A Teenage girl becomes the focus of typical Poltergeist phenomena that really takes off,..... word spreads and the townsfolk start to visit and quiz this entity all manner of things ....... ??????? :-D
Hope i have remembered that right lol its a great read
Lots of edits sorry i'm a bit tired x
Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 pm

These two gave me the idea for this topic :-D

Close Encounters Of The Kind
Apparently the landing happened North of Nevada.

For the events in the Close Encounters movie, Spielberg had used ideas from J. Allen Hynek’s 1972 book, The UFO Experience. When Hynek, then Director of the Center for UFO Studies, questioned the unauthorized use of the material for the movie, he was given an advisor role on the movie, and a cameo role in the final dramatic UFO landing scene.

"I really found my faith," stated Spielberg, "when I heard that the government was opposed to the film. If NASA took the time to write me a twenty-page letter, then I knew there must be something happening."

ET
Ronald and Nancy Reagan, Spielberg, and 35 distinguished guests one being Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor attended a special screening.

Spielberg remembers
"Nancy Reagan was crying towards the end, and the President looked like a ten-year-old-kid."

After the screening R Reagan patted Spielberg on the shoulder and said
"You know, there aren’t six people in this room who know how true this really is."

The conversation was abruptly stopped by a wave of people approaching Spielberg and the President.

Spielberg had stated that he had written the E.T. story as fiction based upon facts drawn from various UFO stories that had been told over the years. He must have been very shocked to hear from the President that it was all very true.

Winnie

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Fascinating quotes from Spielberg/what he was told by others Winnie! Very revealing, and should give food for thought...

An American Haunting... ahh! I am sure I have seen that, Donald Sutherland plays the father?
I did enjoy it, but it was rather far fetched, and I'm not surprised it deviates from the "real" event. Typical of Hollywood and the entertainment industry. Yes, I know the Bell Witch story now.
All these films I have seen, I have been watching nearly all of them over the last few years and the names tend to blend after a while!

Yes, When the Lights Went Out is about the Black Monk of Pontefract, that house. This was also exaggerated at the end, but it is a good film.... especially if you have lived or been a child in the '70s, you wll love it, very reminiscent of many things (the only thing wrong is the money - the father giving his kid a pound note is rather unreal to me, - more like 20p!! - However he was angry at the time he threw the money at her, so maybe that explains it).
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Winnie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Indeed i would like to know a lot more about it now 8-)

Thats the one woeful film imo not sure i would have enjoyed it if i had not read the book tbh .....

[sucks breath through teeth] £1 by gum that was special occasion pennies :-D ....... 10p more like ooo and a full sweety bags worth too :lol:

Do Team EG not fancy booking an investigation there ;-)
Winnie

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Winnie wrote:
Do Team EG not fancy booking an investigation there ;-)

Would love to, but it's a bit far away, although we've done things in Yorkshire and Durham... so we'd have to make a date of it, but with work commitments it's not so easy these days. However, I also have the concern that there has been so much attention on it, and no doubt loads of PNI groups going there, I think it will be flat as a pancake these days. :-D
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby PinkFrenchFancy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:09 am

This is a good topic! I love a good film based on a true story... Just the fact that it's happened to someone (or at least they think it happened to them) more often than not sends a shiver down my spine! Even when things feel a bit far fetched it's at the very least interesting!

Here is my favorite more recent one: a haunting in Connecticut 2. I dunno how to fancied post the link embedded on this message but this is a link to the trailer http://youtu.be/Vt_TnDqAYGc

It seemed a bit far fetched to me in parts but I have it on dvd and in the extras it has loads of interview with the actual people who believe these events happened to them! Who am I to question it? I certainly couldn't disapprove anything!
PinkFrenchFancy

Postby Winnie » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Ahh ;-) right enough that would be a bit of a major operation ..... doable but you would all need time off etc to even consider it.
I know what you mean about it being flat and also with it being a Poltergeist, well ..... they are not really reliable are they so .....
And yet :-D .... you know GCUK ? well they went a few months back and were not disappointed..... in fact they are itching to return xx

Hi PinkFrenchFancy nice to meet you :-D
I think so too i have always been fascinated by them ..... Amityville got me hooked

If you copy from the = to the & of your link ...... ie this bit ..... Vt_TnDqAYGc .... and then put it between the [youtube youtube] .... the youtube tab is up there, it will come up xx GITM is better at explaining it so excuse me is i have baffled you xx :?

OOOO now, A Haunting in Connecticut 2 ..... that is the Ghosts Of Georgia story another feature length tale from the tv series "A Haunting" ...... which btw if you have not seen, is very good, their take on the Haunting in Connecticut 1 is night and day better than Hollywoods attempt.

Anyhow thank you ...... it looks different [a bit ott] to how the tv show covered the story but interesting, i will have to watch it..... i did not know this was out! ..... so thanks PFF

I know from personal experience that just because something is weird it doesnt mean it did not happen . Thing is many stories lose credibility when Hollywood sticks its nose in ;-) and if you have never encountered weird then it is very hard to believe.
Anyhow, like you, just because we never experienced it, .... does not mean they didnt xxx

This next film was enjoyable so i give Hollywood that but the real story has so much more to it. Paranormal Witness have made a better job of it by the sounds of things [on tv soon]
The real story House of Darkness House of Light comes in 3 lengthy books and covers the true events of the families 10 years at Rhode Islands Harrisvile Farm.
The Conjuring is the first in a series of films to be made from the Warren Case Files .... they are doing our very own The Einfield Poltergeist next

The Conjuring

Many doubt this next haunting story for many valid reasons but skeptics forget that for every debunk there is an equally valid unexplainable and unanswered occurrence .....
Hollywood certainly did not do the family or their story any favours

The Amityville Horror

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Whitley Strieber's book Communion about his personal encounter of the 3rd kind was made into a film in 1989 its a weird one but a classic ..... i loved it

Here is the full film if you fancy it :-D

Travis waltons was not happy with the film that was made about his experience ...... It is one of the most if not the most compelling Alien Abduction cases .... Travis and his co workers now in their 60's revisited it in season 3 of PW

Fire in the Sky

Winnie

Next

Return to Ghosts In The Movies & Film