Jack the Ripper

Discuss "hidden" knowledge, fringe science, little known technologies, alternative history and anything weird & wonderful that may challenge our idea of reality

Jack the Ripper

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:20 am

Even after 126 years that name still has the power to fascinate, debate, even frighten. Jack the Ripper, whoever he, she, or they might have been, still strikes a chord in our minds.

I've read just about every JtR book that has come out, and I've reflected on every theory, crackpot or otherwise as to the identity of history's most celebrated serial killer. And believe me, after reading some of the nonsense penned about old Saucy Jack, you have to wonder how some of these people who write such drivel are able to function in a normal society.

Two of the most ludicrous theories I've read are: In Jack the Ripper: End of a Legend, the author claims that Jack the Ripper was a 3 person team, consisting of a Russian anarchist, a British artist and Mary Jane Kelly, the 5th Canonical victim. The girl discovered in Miller's Court was Kelly's cousin, who Mary Jane killed and mutilated as revenge for the cousin stealing Kelly's boy-friend! :roll: The rest of the book is a hodge-podge of Da Vinci Code blather, Bible Code nonsense, and a few inane conspiracy theories tossed in for good measure. In another book, Jack is claimed to be a member of the British Secret Service, who kills the 5 women because they were acting as messengers and couriers for the Fenians, and their murders were a warning to the Irish.

Probably the worst book on the subject of Jack was Patricia Cornwall's Case Closed. Cornwall claims Walter Sickert was the killer, and tries to prove it by comparing samples of Sickert's handwriting with samples of the many letters sent to the police and news agencies claiming to be JtR(only one is thought to be from the real killer) She also claims that samples of Sickert's DNA, taken from the glue on postage stamps that Sickert licked match JtR's, but nowhere does she say where the Ripper DNA came from. The Sickert samples were so contaminated by time, dust, and poor DNA testing that all of Cornwall's claims can be tossed out in the rubbish bin.

So, what does everybody else here on EG think? Got any ideas of your own on who Red Jack might have been? Let's hear what you have to say!
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: Jack the Ripper

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:35 am

Not sure, but I loved the Whitechapel TV series with Rupert Penry Jones and Phil Davies, Sam Stockman. Brilliant :)

I'm not interested in the gore aspect, to me that's just a bit of a weird perverted fascination folk have with such, but the mystery aspect is fascinating. Shame forensics can't pick up on any DNA to unravel the mystery a little.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby karen » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:08 am

My favourite Jack the Ripper film is murder by decree. Which claims the Freemasons where involved. To protect the duke of Clarence and the line of succession. Jacks victims where protecting the child. Great film
karen

Postby Kitty » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Well it's said that the reasoning behind the Ripper's killing spree is usually the simplest.

I loved the Murder by Decree film (mainly because it was atmospheric and scary and the acting was superb) but I don't believe all this freemasonry rubbish, or the theories that the 'lunatic did it' (Jack's killings were planned and not executed by a lunatic who foraged in the gutters for food).

In my opinion, one of the most interesting and plausible books written about the Whitechapel Murders is one called 'Jack the Ripper, The Simple Truth' by Bruce Paley.

In it he names Mary Kelly's partner, Joseph Barnett, as the murder of the five women, gives reasons why which again, are very plausible, and also explains why the murdered women - at the height of the murders when no other prostitute would go anywhere alone with a stranger - went with 'Jack' into the darkness and into history. Basically they knew him. He was 'good old Joe', an east ender, not a 'foreigner' as everyone was making out.

The book is available from Amazon (also on Kindle now too I believe). It's an excellent read , written very well, each point proven and has no outlandish claims.
Kitty

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:46 pm

I agree that the simplest solution is the most likely.

I often wonder why anyone does wonder "why he did it" - seems pretty obvious to me. There are loads and loads of serial killers who have been equally brutal and psychopathic, why not Victorian London and why not him?

The only difference with JTR in my opinion is he got away with it and left a big mystery, which everyone has been pondering about ever since & hanging their attention on, thus generating all the "who done it?" speculation. No forensics back then, - Would have been solved quickly if it happened today.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Winnie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Tom have you heard about H H Holmes ? His GGGrandson has written a book stating that her was JTR best theory i have heard yet,

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodstains-Jeff- ... B004U2VAJE

Winnie

Postby Kitty » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:09 pm

Wow that looks a good book. I have just downloaded it to my Kindle ready for my holiday next week. Thanks so much, was looking for something decent to read :smile:
Kitty

Postby Winnie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 am

OOO holiday book i hope its a good one for you let us know what you think Kitty and have a wonderful break xxx
Winnie

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:09 pm

Where's Spirit Bear? It's not like him to miss something about JTR.
Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:46 am

Uh, Chatelaine, I started this thread! I've not been on much as I still don't have a computer.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Next

Return to Fringe Science, Forbidden Knowledge,& all things Fortean