Peter Underwood - The Ghost Hunters' Ghost Hunter

Anything about paranormal books, writings, writers and authors, fiction or non-fiction - chat and share here.

Peter Underwood - The Ghost Hunters' Ghost Hunter

Postby Scaramouche » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:16 am

If you have an interest in ghosts but haven't heard of Peter Underwood then you haven't lived.
If you're a ghost and haven't heard of Peter Underwood then sorry - you're really not that dead.

Peter Underwood was, quite simply, the elephants' tonsils when it came to ghost hunting. His published work changed the field of literature on the paranormal to such an extent that his successors used some of his books as guides. Indeed, you'll find copies of his Ghost Hunter's Guide and Ghost Hunter's Almanac in most ghost hunters bookshelves today. Most of his books contain summaries of investigations he conducted himself or with a group, at virtually all the well known haunted sites in the UK. The list of his books is below. If you haven't read one of them yet, then go and purloin one from somewhere.......... well go on then - get a move on! ;-)

Gazetteer of British Ghosts (1971)
Gazetteer of Scottish & Irish Ghosts (1973)
Into the Occult (1972)
A Host of Hauntings (1973)
Haunted London (1973)
Ghosts of Borley (1973)
Deeper into the Occult (1975)
The Vampire's Bedside Companion: The Amazing World of Vampires in Fact and Fiction (1975)
Lives to Remember (1975)
Dictionary of the Supernatural (1978)
Dictionary of Occult and the Supernatural (1979)
Ghosts of North-West England (1978)
Ghosts of Wales (1978)
Hauntings: New Light on Famous Cases (1977)
A Ghost Hunters Handbook (1980)
Complete Book of Dowsing & Divining (1980)
Ghosts of Devon (1980)
Ghosts of Cornwall (1983)
Ghosts of Somerset (1999)
Ghosts of Hampshire & The Isle of Wight (1982)
Ghosts of Kent (1984)
This Haunted Isle (1984)
The Ghost Hunters: Who they are and what they do (1985)
Queen Victoria's Other World (1986)
The Ghost Hunter's Guide (1986)
West Country Hauntings (1988)
Mysterious Places (1988)
Ghosts of Dorset (1988)
Jack the Ripper - 100 years of mystery (1987)
Horror Man - Boris Karloff (1972)
Life's a Drag: Danny La Rue (1974)
No Common Task: Autobiography of a Ghost Hunter (1983)
Thirteen Famous Ghost Stories (1977)
Ghosts of Wiltshire (1989)
Ghostly Encounters (1992)
Ghosts & Phantoms of the West (1993)
Exorcism! (1990)
A-Z of British Ghosts (1992)
Death in Hollywood (1992)
Ghosts & How to See Them (1993)
Nights in Haunted Houses (1994)
The Ghost Hunter's Almanac (1993)
Guide to Ghosts and Haunted Places (1996)
Ghosts of North Devon (1999)
The Ghost Club - A History (2010)
Favourite Tales of the Fantastical (2000)
Borley Postscript (2001)
The Murder Club (2004)
The Borley Rectory Companion (2009)
Haunted Gardens (2009)
I can describe myself in five words. Intelligent, handsome, debonair, witty - NOT!!
Scaramouche

Re: Peter Underwood - The Ghost Hunters' Ghost Hunter

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Great post! Yep, can't not know about Peter Underwood if you're into ghosts! :smile:

Of course, he was also president of the Ghost Club (of which I am a member today, great group!) for more than 30 years, from 1962 to 1993 so far as I recall.... and invited by Harry Price to join. He was later given an honorary position once retiring.

I think of him as one of the "old school" scholarly and intelligent ghost hunters - before it all got very silly and commercial.

Great guy, got a lot of his books but not all!

Here he is:

GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:52 pm

We have quite a few of Mr. Underwoods books that we find invaluable when hunting up new locations. He is a most excellent recounteur of ghost stories and the PN!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby kaos7 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:05 pm

I couldn't agree more. I have most of Peter Underwood's books and he was one of the first authors on the paranormal that started me looking into ghosts in much more depth. His books are well written, full of information and I can quite happily pick one up and read it from cover to cover without getting bored. If I was to pick one of his that I really enjoyed it would be "Nights in Haunted Houses."
kaos7

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:42 am

Great stuff!!

Kaos, another one like him you will know is Andrew Green, who was ones of those old school ghost hunters/writers... but he lived in your area of Sussex, Robertsbridge. I once had a conversation with the custodian of Pevensey castle who knew him, went to his house in the area.

Oddly enough he looked rather like Peter Underwood!

GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby kaos7 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Yeah he did actually!

Andrew Green was known as the Spectre Inspector and did an investigation which was shown on a News programme many years ago of the Albert Hall. His books are really good and cover Sussex and surrounding counties. His home in Robertsbridge was known to be haunted and there were reports of a sudden tobacco smell emerging and suddenly vanishing as well as other things. Another author I have a few books of :)
kaos7

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Lol, will have to have another thread about Andrew and his books & research_

And also about this next chap (there's a few of them!), this one was Peter Haining. A really great book you will like to have, it was only published a few years back, but it's a collection of all the true ghost stories Peter had gathered over many decades, left in his estate.... things that only he had, interview he had done with celebrity etc.

This one:-

Collection put together by Peter Haining (who's another one of this ilk, who also unfortunately died after finishing this book!)
The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings

This is always the book I take on camping trips and.read aloud by torchlight if ever I go off to a haunted place and camp with friends, such as I have done with Chatelaine. It was this one I was reading this aloud when we were interrupted and had our bizarre experience while camping near Aviemore, possibly with the Grey Man of Ben Macdhui!

Obituary to Peter Haining

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... ining.html

GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Scaramouche » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:16 am

Thank you, GhostInTheMachine, for posting about Peter Haining and his book ' The Mammoth Book Of True Hauntings'. I was not aware that this book existed, so I am going to treat myself to a copy right away, and will look forward to reading it from cover to cover.

Thanks again. ;-)
I can describe myself in five words. Intelligent, handsome, debonair, witty - NOT!!
Scaramouche

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:00 am

You're welcome, you'll enjoy it!! :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Return to Ghosts In Books