WOODSPRING PRIORY - JAN 2015

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

WOODSPRING PRIORY - JAN 2015

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Well, we are back, and I will now reveal where we were - Woodspring Priory!

Chatelaine, me and Spirit Bear hired the Priory for a short holiday break (and I must say it's a wonderful, peaceful and beautiful location I would recommend to anyone who wants a holiday to chill, get away from modern stress and experience a bit of the past). While we were there we also had our friends staying for one night, friends from this forum who are interested in historic buildings and ancient heritage. They came over to enjoy the place, have a great meal together provided by Chatelaine, and in the evening we conducted our own private ghost investigation, to check out some of the many tales and ghost folklore associated with the building, and experiences which are written into the visitor's log). After the investigation we were kindly met by a charming gentleman who knows a lot of the history of the building, who came over and gave some of us a private tour, where we learned a lot more about its past. This was fascinating, and confirmed some of our ideas and speculations about the site.

Woodspring Priory is a 13th Century original medieval religious site, built by a grandson of one of the knights who murdered Thomas A Becket during the reign of Henry II. In fact, the murderous knights were buried on this land originally, and the priory built there later as an act of penance.

Much of the original priory remains, including all of the church, the infirmary and a huge tithe barn (owned by the nearby farm ). The priory was subject to the dissolution under Henry Viii and was then converted into a farm in Tudor times.... so the rest of the buildings are mainly Tudor in design, including a large bedroom with massive oak beamed ceilings, and several other huge bedrooms, with ancient fireplaces, secret trap doors and rooms, and the most incredible masonry architecture and ancient woodwork throughout. The lounge is extremely comfy, has an 8 foot fireplace , and there is a medieval kitchen furnished with what we called the "banqueting table".

Ghosts? Well, there is one key ghost the owners and past visitors have chosen to name "Clive" and reading through the visitor logs there have been many encounters with Clive over the last several decades while the Priory has been owned by the Landmark Trust. The Trust refurbishes ancient landmark properties while making an effort to keep their heritage and historic features as much as possible, while installing tasteful modern amenities and comforts. They then rent the properties out to guests and use the revenue to salvage more such buildings. So, there have been hundreds of visitors to the Priory over the years, and of course quite a few dozen of them I found to have seen the ghost, or experienced odd phenomena while staying.

Later on in this thread I will put a summary of some of the experiences people have had, that are reported in the visitor logs, as well as our own experiences.
There is also a ghost or two in the garden, per reports ... a woman in white said to show up at full moon, and a grey cat. Otherwise, "Clive" haunts the chapel, a twin bedroom Chatelaine and I shared, and the large bedroom Pete and Sarah stayed in, and the fireplace in Karen and Kimmy's twin room, and "Clive" has also been seen in the lounge, along with other apparitions in that room.

So we visited too, to experience the place for a well earned holiday, and meanwhile also hoping to encounter and investigate any paranormal activity that may occur while we were there, inviting friends from the forum here. What an absolutely fantastic place this is/ was! Me, Chatelaine and Spirit Bear had 4 days and nights there relaxing in the peace of the place, and for one night of investigation we were joined by 5 of our forum friends here, Llandaff Pete, Kimmy, Karen and Louise.

At this point I will take a break for pictures we took, and to gather my results, but hope the others who attended will come in and offer their thoughts and reports while they remain fresh from the night we all spent there.

I just want to say, in the meantime, what a great bunch of people they all were and how much fun we all had, great time had by all :)

Woodspring Priory

These aren't our pictures, but borrowed from elsewhere, mainly Tripadvisor, but I (and I'm sure the others) will post ours soon:

at night

The kitchen

Pete and Sarah's room (haunted, many footsteps have been heard from below, and one visitor also encountered a ghost at 2am there)

The 13th Century tithe barn

Inside the church, the vaulted ceiling:

Once I've gathered our data, and results will paste a lot more. :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Re: WOODSPRING PRIORY - JAN 2015

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:34 am

This is my report on our vigils at Woodspring Priory from January 12th-15th, 2015. For 3 of the days it was just myself, GiTM, and Chatelaine, as we hired the place for a holiday. The group vigil, where we were joined by 5 of our usual PN friends for the night, was conducted on the late night/early morning hours of the 13th/14th.

The chief spirit is a man who has been named Clive. Nobody knows his real name, when he was at the Priory, who he might have been. He is always described as a gentle and peaceful soul, a guardian of the site. He roams the entire building from the upstairs bedrooms to the church itself. One previous renter told of a story of going down to the lounge at 4AM and seeing a man sitting in one of the arm chairs and having a long conversation with him. When she turned her head for a second, he vanished. Interesting account, but it begs the question didn't she think it odd somebody would be sitting in the lounge in total darkness that early in the morning? There is also the ghost of a Grey Lady and a grey cat. There is also an account of someone seeing a procession of monks in the courtyard outside the Priory. However, I don't think we made contact with any of these entities, tho a couple of the team thought they sensed Clive in one of the upstairs bedrooms. The few EMF spikes we got were negligible, and there were no unusual temperature readings.

The most active area is a room in the church called the Golf Room. This was used as a meeting place for a rather unusual golf group in the 1890's. It was composed of just 8 members, all male, who used this room as a meeting and dining place. It was rumored activities of another kind were part of this gathering, but I will not elaborate. I did a solo vigil in this room and the church on the night of the 15th. I had my REM Mel Meter, 2 K-2s and a DVR. No EMF readings were noted, temperatures ranged from 12-14 degrees C. and no activity of any kind took place. GiTM may put the audio of that vigil on here, once she has listened to it.

Two other areas we wanted to investigate were the huge tithe barn and the infirmary. Sadly the barn is on the land belonging to the farmer that the Priory sits on, and he allows no access, due to safety concerns and problems with earlier renters. The Infirmary is also off limits, also due to safety concerns. However, it is easy to see the outlines of the Lady Chapel and the Infirmary Chapel on the grounds outside.

So, although we enjoyed our time here, and the vigil(s), I must be honest and rate this investigation as a bit of a limp lettuce, though I'm sure some of my teammates may disagree. But some things we do all agree on is that the Priory is a lovely place to be in, we will return here in the future, and we all wish we could win the lottery to see if we could buy the place from Landmark Trust!
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Rhapsody » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:09 pm

WOODSPRING PRIORY : LOU'S IMPRESSIONS*
*Please note, I don't claim to have an infallible memory so any of the team please correct me if I have misremembered any details. Also, these pictures are all mine, aside from the floor plans which can be found on the Landmark Trust page for the priory. They were taken on my Galaxy Note 2 phone and have been processed in SnapSeed. They are not 'straight out of the camera'. Click on them if they do not appear in full as they are quite large.

Woodspring Priory is a place filled with character where history seems to seep from the walls. With crooked beams nibbled by woodworm, worn spiral staircases and the evidence of grand archways etched into the walls, it wears it's history in different building phases with great charm. Beginning a ghost hunt in such a property, in front of a huge roaring fire with the wind howling outside, I thought 'it doesn't get much better than this!'.

But in fact a quieter night would have been better had circumstances allowed, as we had to account for noises being made by the ferocious wind and temperature changes that could have been spirit induced or simply atmospherics.

My anticipation was high as the day before the rest of us arrived, Chatelaine and GitM had experienced some activity in an unexpected way, and the visitor logs had indicated that multiple people had experienced occurrences in and around the property.

So we started in the living room, one of the locations most reported to have activity. But this room seemed pretty flat, despite an atmospheric atmosphere. There was some strange water bubbling up from the lowest part of the window on the inside, despite it being dry outside. Perhaps this was something or perhaps there is a structural explanation plus the wind.

Since the sitting room was quiet we moved upstairs to Pete and Sarah's bedroom. This was on the farmhouse side and was very spacious. We spread ourselves and our equipment across the room and began. Things were slow to get going here if I remember rightly, but GitM was armed with a low light camera and began to get orb activity. I do not rush to accept orbs when taken with a stills camera as many times I think they are simply dust particles, but this was far more compelling. The spot of light, or orb, did not move in a way consistent with dust or even with an insect. It even drew itself down in a vertical line on at least two occasions above people's heads when a question was asked. In addition the gauss meter was giving us replies. They were quite tentative, but they were definitely answers. I'm sure the others can expand on this, but the chief information gleaned seemed to be that we were communicating with a woman and that she had something to do with smuggling. We found out the next day that this was quite possible from the guide who gave us a talk. A female ghost had been reported in the past and the secluded location of the Priory, shielded from the sight of the Severn by the hills of the headland, would very possibly have been involved with smuggling in it's later history.

Moving on into Kim and Karen's room we noticed that the corridor that connected the room we had come from to this one, did not make architectural sense. It seemed to leave a rather large portion of wasted 'solid space'. Expect that it wasn't solid, as tapping the plaster revealed some of it to be hollow. I'd be very interested to know why that is. Could it have been a priest hole, covered over at some point?

Our vigil in Kim and Karen's room was completely flat. At least they knew they could sleep well in there that night. This room was formerly occupied by Spirit Bear who very graciously gave it up to sleep in the living room that night. Perhaps he could report if anything happened to him during the rest of his stay or if this room was absent of activity.

Attached to the holiday let is a very basic museum consisting of an L-shaped space with some artefacts in cabinets and information boards. This is housed in the most remaining church like part of the building, the chancel and the sacristy tower, with it's lofty roof and ornate fan vaults which reminded me of the cloisters of Gloucester Cathedral.

What I experienced in here I feel is worth mentioning, but would be hard to prove as conclusive evidence. Earlier that day GitM had recalled an incident which had happened when she and Chatelaine had been admiring the sympathetic way the Landmark Trust had restored the building. They had been looking down at the entranceway to their bedroom where the floorboards had been cut wavy to meet a lovely thick piece of masonry on the floor. At some point later they had returned to that point and noticed a piece of plastic lying on the stone. It hadn't been there before, it belonged to no-one there and it was too substantial to have been blown there by the wind, which although it was strong outside, there was no particular draft here. It looked like it might have been something to house contact lens solution, clear plastic almost in the shape of an angel I thought, and entirely unknown to them how it got there.

The reason I relate this, is that later, GitM had been looking for something to hold down the button of the gauss meter to make it function constantly without the need to physically hold the button down herself. The usual thing that had done this job was missing. After some trial and error she had finally remembered the strange piece of plastic and put it to use, holding it in place with elastic bands. It was perfect to push in the button.

As we sat on the settle in the corner of the tower, GitM showed me what she had done with it. I commented that maybe 'Clive' had left it to be found for this purpose. She then saw the EMF meter near the doorway to the 'Golf Room' flash. This was the only activity we got on the EMF meters all night.

As we tried to make contact in this room we also experienced temperate changes of several degrees. However, it's very hard to know if this was due to the gusting wind or not, despite the fact that it coincided with our request to affect us as such.

The highest activity was yet to come. We now moved up into Chatelaine and GitM's room. This room had a lovely peaceful feel to it and I had instantly liked it when I had taken the tour earlier. As we settled into quietness to attune our senses I instantly felt it's 'good vibes'. I know this does not sound very scientific, but I felt the energy of the place to be particularly wonderful, and it made me go into a spacey meditative state very quickly. I feel the body is an instrument to sense what the eyes and ears might miss and I can liken the energy in this room to very few places. It was on a par with the feeling I got when lying in the sarcophagus in the Great Pyramid in Egypt or the warm feeling of love in the Temple of Isis. I would say it felt more calming even than the Chalice Well garden in Glastonbury. My limbs went heavy and I started to feel disconnected from my body. And I was off in a very deep meditation, feeling very much as if my consciousness was at one with the cosmos when GitM asked what was going on with me as she was filming through the video camera. It took considerable effort to bring myself back to the room enough to ramble out a reply which probably sounded a little drunk.

I can't recall the exact order of events in that room, I think I was too high on the energy there, but somehow the conversation turned to what the energy felt like and the fact that if it was made by 'Clive' then he must have been a man of great spiritual presence. And it was as we discussed these impressions that the gauss meter started to speak. And speak it did, for unlike previous investigations where it had blared on and off as if the spirit energy had been angry or animated to get it's point across, this was wholly different. To all intents and purposes it sounded just like a human voice. It had the ups and downs, emphasis and pauses and sing song manner that comes with someone speaking. Except, frustratingly (for us), the sounds were not being made by a voice box which can communicate the words perfectly, but through an electronic device which gave us a shadow of speech, but one so close to a real voice that it was shocking to hear.

I think I will leave the details of what he seemed to confirm to someone with better recall than me, or GitM and Chatelaine when they have reviewed the audio footage. The way that gauss meter spoke was incredible and in a way, disconcerting to hear. I think it was unsettling to some members of the group because of how closely human it sounded, it hammered home that there was a presence there with us and that it was not living and breathing as we were and yet it seemed to be actually talking!
It was in this room that John who gave us the talk the next day reported that his wife often felt like she was not alone when she did the housekeeping there.

For our final vigils we split into two groups. Pete and Spirit Bear did the chancel and living room again (and got nothing more as far as I know) and us ladies did the upper bathroom and 'toilet waiting room' area as John called it. He told us that in this room they would find the window opened itself. It had also behaved strangely earlier in the evening when the light, which was previously working, refused to turn on despite every attempt to locate the problem, then mysteriously righted itself and came on later when no-one was near it. The bathroom had also previously had activity which Chatelaine and GitM can tell you about.

Well our last vigil did not disappoint. 'Clive' started his conversation with us again, in the same matter of fact way as before, as if he was there in the room just casually chatting with us. He seemed to claim responsibility for the lovely energy and saw himself as a caretaker of the building. I'm sure at one point it sounded like he said the words 'thank you'.

When we turned in at about 3am and I was pleased to find that when I closed my eyes in my bedroom which had once been part of original priory building, that I felt 'Clive's' lovely feeling of peace and knew that I was going to get a good night's sleep.

One final thank you to Spirit Bear for giving up his comfy bedroom and to Chatelaine and GitM for feeding us up so well and organising such as wonderful investigation.
Rhapsody

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:30 pm

Great report, Lou, well done! You mentioned a couple of details that I forgot-the hidden room and the howling winds! I'm not sure if that room hidden in the wall was a priests hole or a smugglers hidey-hole. And those winds-the howling outside and the wind coming down the flue of the chimney made for an eerie, but appropriate, sound effect-it added to the atmosphere of the vigil.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Yosemitesarah » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:52 pm

On arrival at WP the first thing I noticed was the actual size of the place and the imposing entrance. Entering into the wonderful kitchen area you immediately felt at ease and a very homely feeling surrounded the room. We were particularly blessed to have the Double bedroom which was rumoured to be haunted. Whilst I didnt get a chance to check out the visitor logs, I understand footsteps have been heard there. I also do not have photos on this laptop to add but LlandaffPete will have some he will be able to share. The Sitting Room was a grand room with a magnificent fireplace that once lit was one amazing memory. We started our Vigil in there and whilst nothing particularly significant springs to mind I did note a companion comment on the bubbling water on the window which could have been wind related as a storm was brewing nicely outside but nevertheless it made us question whether this was paranormal activity. We then moved our vigil to the various bedrooms upstairs. In our room, one of our companions noted lights dancing around the room on her camera and although I didnt feel anything in particular I could sense past memories of a woman called Elisabeth, childbirth and death in the room. A feeling of smuggling was also brought up by a companion and this was later confirmed. During the vigil in the twin room next door not much happened but general consensus was that it was a warm cozy room and nothing negative resided there. Upon entering the Twin room overlooking the chapel we all took our places and I sat right at the back of the room as our leader called out. It was interesting that they felt a calmness at the front of the room nearest the window overlooking the chapel yet I and a fellow companion felt a little overwhelmed and wanted to leave halfway through (although we didnt). I felt there was a darkness creeping over me during this area. I was also determined in my mind to not enter the chapel. I felt really scared and didnt want to go in there whilst I was in this room. We then moved down to the kitchen and took a well needed break. This gave both myself and fellow companion chill down time and we both felt able to move into the chapel for the next vigil. What I will say hit me the most is how the wind increased its howl and pace everytime we launched into a vigil. First few times I could say it was a coincidence but this just became the case for every room and its vigil. We split up eventually with two companions remaining in the chapel whilst the remainers went to the upstairs toilet lobby room. I did notice the toilet boiler room door opening whilst I was in that room earlier. Whilst it initially disturbed me I have since rationalised that it may have been a draught vacuum from the bad weather conditions outside. Our leader used the Gauss Meter during a question/answer session and we did seem to be in contact with some spirit who we felt that possibly was a Spiritual Guardian of the Building possibly a Priest. We left the Vigil feeling very peaceful and calm. WP simply oozes compassion to its visitors and envelopes you in its safe arms. I can imagine troubled souls visiting there for sanctuary and safety. Thank you to our organisers for this memorable vigil and for catering for us so well :) XX
Yosemitesarah

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Nice report, Sarah! See, it isn't so hard once you get the hang of it. I still think you should investigate your psychic gifts, it is obvious that you are quite sensitive to a great degree.
Spirit Bear

Postby llandaffpete » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi all first thing i would like to say is what a fantastic location you found for us all to do our investergation in and secondly it was great to catch up with you all again .......
Now to Woodsring Priory for me the place had the WOW Factor with is beautiful rooms and grounds and with the fantastic church next door

Now for the vigil to me only a few things happened or should i say only a few things happened to the men of the group it seemed most things happened to the ladies, but the things i did notice were the meter did go somewhat crazy in a few rooms with plenty of response to being questioned by the ladies i had a little response in the church to my questions but not a lot also mthe biggest thing was the fact that every room we went in the wind and rain picked up and lashed the windows and howled like hell which was very strange but other than that not much else happened to me .......But i am not saying things have not happened to other people as there are plenty of reports saying that are plenty of ghostly things seen,heard, and felt but not to me at this time but one thing i will say i would love to go again as it is a fantastic place...... :-D

llandaffpete

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Just want to say what a great bunch of teammates I have here on EG! Great reading all of your reports, keep 'em coming!
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:06 pm

These are all such great reports - thank you to Sarah and Pete for your persistence in getting these on here - I know you had trouble earlier! Great shots too. Yes, I think it's true that the ladies had more activity than anyone else.

Rhapsody, Louise, wow what great shots they are, thanks for those! And the maps really show where each room was located. I also totally agree with your summation of what happened on the night.
The place definitely has a presence, and it's very benign, very peaceful and not at all "scary"; as I too think I met "Clive" in our bedroom, and was not afraid at all but "he" seemed to give the whole area a wonderful resonating calm and ambience of spiritual warmth - which incidentally is why I chose that room next to the chapel.

So, before I give my report I have to say this has to be the most peaceful, calm and enjoyable of "haunted" places I have visited ... there is certainly nothing bad or evil here, quite the opposite, and if anyone sees these reports, please don't be repelled from booking it as a holiday venue.

I have to say I agree with Sarah about the activity too. There were very few responses on the K2 EMF meters, which we usually have at haunted places, ... so there were no dense or heavy EMF readings at all... and I think this is why the Guass meter was active. The Guass meter is 100s X more sensitive than the K2. This definitely did "talk" in a way I have not heard before ... the button on it was depressed fully by a small plastic item I found in the building, as Lou describes, and during vigils in both the twin room and the "toilet lobby" outside this room, it was responding directly to questions, sounding very much like guttural chatter or talking, - very different to the usual guass meter whistles and discordant whines.

I am currently going through my footage and audio recordings so I will have a proper report soon.

:)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby GII-Team » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:36 am

Awesome reports here from EG was great reading reports from other members too.

The location looked great I love the religious location always a very chilled haunting and evidence captured and seem to leave the location feeling very tranquil.

Hope to hear,see some of the evidence soon!

Glad everyone had a great time.

:)
GII-Team

Next

Return to Investigations we've done