WOODSFORD CASTLE INVESTIGATION

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

Re: WOODSFORD CASTLE INVESTIGATION

Postby Rhapsody » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:31 pm

7. The hallway outside the Queen's bedroom.

The undercrofts lie on the ground floor and are connected via a series of doors.

The first room in the undercrofts.

The second room in the undercrofts.

Looking to the back of the room in the third undercroft.

Looking the other way in the third undercroft room. We wondered if the balls might be moved but they didn't.

Looking to the back of the fourth undercroft.

Looking towards the doors in the fourth undercroft.

The fifth and final undercroft with a very well used fireplace with a double chimney.

Looking the other way in the fifth undercroft.
Rhapsody

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:03 pm

These are great pics Rhapsody, thanks for these.

I will be doing my own report either at the weekend or in the next few days on what happened.
Fabulous location, and it's true that Chatelaine, Spirit Bear and myself had a lot of activity especially when we were not doing vigils and after the others had gone and we were alone in the building. I must say the audio, noises and occurrences were totally different to any others we have experienced... it was just the same as if a woman had been there in the house shouting, crying and singing every now and again. The only "normal" explanation for what we heard would be if someone WAS actually there, or some audio equipment and large, good quality speakers had been rigged up there somewhere. These were not the sort of sounds that "sort of sound like" a woman that you may hear on EVPs, they were real. Really pretty extreme, and with the senses of presence on top, pretty amazing place.

Just a shame the others only heard something that one time.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Great set of photos, Rhapsody, shows just how lovely the place is, ghosts or no ghosts. Anybody looking to spend a few days holiday in a quality location should contact Landmark Trust, they have properties all over the UK, and a few in the US as well!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Exciting news-I have just finished listening to the audios of our final night's vigil at Woodsford. Caught a plethora of taps, knocks, voices, etc, but the best part is where I have to leave the vigil area when I started to feel nauseous, and headed for the restroom. GiTM had left a voice recorder in the corridor leading from the King's Room to the Queen's Chambers. At the 30:23 mark, you can clearly hear my name, Tom, being spoken in a thick, guttural voice! :o :shock: I am glad to get confirmation of what I heard.

I hope that GiTM is able to download those recordings onto this report, as we would like your opinions as to what you hear.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:39 pm

That's very interesting, as that area was effectively locked off, there were no people in that part of the building and the heavy door to the King's Chamber was closed (where we were). However, you did need to go through there to then go to the upstairs bathroom, so we will hear you go through.

I will have a listen when I can, ... I sent those audio files to SB to go through. Will get you some more SB.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Chatelaine » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:52 am

I'm not one for writing long reports, so I will just sum up what I thought of my time at Woodsford Castle concisely. Firstly, I have to say that it was a total privilege to be able to stay in such a lovely old property. Woodsford Castle was comfortable, well equipped and stunning, however, if I had to choose one word that would best describe the place, it would have to be 'HAUNTED'. Yes, this was one of the most haunted places I have ever stayed in.

For the first two nights a storm raged outside, the wind howled and rain lashed against the windows, a perfect accompaniment to set the atmosphere of staying in a haunted house. You could hear the sounds of what sounded like a woman sighing/moaning, was it just the wind? Most probably I thought to myself, although the sound was very creepy and human like. Now with this and together with uneasy feelings and lights flickering if I started to whistle, I can tell you the stay became most unpleasant.

For the third and fourth nights the storm abated, but unfortunately, the 'woman's sighs' did not! I heard it at least 5 times, but the limit came when I stood in the kitchen doorway asking GiTM a question and as I finished speaking and she looked at me to give a reply, a woman kept on speaking for me! The sound came from the King's room just behind me, it was unmistakably a woman speaking and sounded as though for all the world, it was me still talking. At that moment, if my car had been outside, I think I would have picked up my dog and driven home there and then.

A strange reaction for a ghost hunter eh? :lol: I love staying in historic buildings and immersing myself in the paranormal, but you know, when it comes to it, I like my paranormal happenings to be within the range I can accept, this place however, was totally out of my comfort zone, off the scale in fact. The main reason the place scared me, was that when I experienced something strange, nothing in my mind could come up with an alternative explanation other than, 'You've just heard a ghost!'. Whereas, in past experiences, there has been a comfortable dusting of doubt about things that have happened, enough anyhow to enable me to sleep at night!

All in all, this place came up with results. I truly hope that we have one of those disturbing woman's sighs caught on audio, so we can share the experience with you. Once heard never forgotten believe me! :shock: Would I go back there for another stay? Right now I'd rather not put myself through it, however, maybe in the future I will be able to summon some inner strength to face my fears!
Chatelaine

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:39 am

Great post Chatelaine, and yes this is pretty much as I say it happened too - and how you were as a result!

Just thought I'd put a note of the experience I read, the only one I have found online. There are dozens of reports in the Visitor Log of the property, but this one is on a website called http://www.yourghoststories.com

Link to it:
http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-gh ... tory=20078

When we first got there I thought she meant the top double room in the newer wing, at the top of the stairs from the bathroom below, which is why I chose that room first. After reading it again and realising she meant the oldest end, and this must be the Queens Room, which corresponds with all the other paranormal experiences and reports in the logs, including our own.

"By Erinjanesx Add Erinjanesx to your favorite people
(1 stories) (0 posts) (the author is a teenager)
Date: 2014-07-07
Paranormal Category: Haunted Places

I've had a few weird experiences but this is the scariest. Me my sister, my parents, and my grandparents all went and stayed in a natural trust place called Woodsford Castle. It was really old fashioned with the decapitated stags and stuff, mounted on the wall along with chandeliers. In the visitors book there was loads of questions about whether the castle was haunted or not.

The room me and my sister stayed in was the oldest room in the castle. It was always quite dark and cold in the room even if we had the lights on and you always got an chilled prickly feeling when you were in there alone. Whenever I went into the room I felt an urge to leave and felt like someone was trying to make me get out.

One night I went to the toilet and as I was coming back up the stairs I heard footsteps clicking up the steps, which sounded like high heeled boots. This confused me a bit but I passed it off as my imagination and I walked back to the room me and my sister were staying in. When I opened the door I saw someone standing over my sister. It wasn't any of my family because they all denied being awake at that time. I couldn't see what she looked like because she was mainly a shadow but all I could really see was what looked like a long dress, suggesting she was a woman. As I walked into the room and there was a sudden chill and the woman vanished. I told my mum, who is a real believer of spirits and she said that the woman may have wanted me out of the room so she could be with my sister alone

But we don't know why she wanted my sister. We were all really scared and left a day early because we didn't feel safe. If anyone has any idea why this woman wanted my sister alone it would be really helpful to know"
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am

Just a couple of pics to illustrate this thread, ones I took at Woodsford during the investigations which I think are quite atmospheric :)

Kimmy in the Undercroft

Spirit Bear in the Undercroft, with his infra red torches lighting the place up

From that, I realised I have never given my own report on what happened at Woodsford Castle.

I do like to go through all the footage first, so as to more accurately debrief, but there simply won't be time. So here's my take on it:

The first night we were there, Spirit Bear, myself and Chatelaine arrived and were in the place on our own. What an incredible atmosphere the place had, absolutely gorgeous, beautiful surrounds.
As always, the Landmark Trust are just the perfect hosts and I highly recommend this building to anyone for a lovely holiday.
The place had a definite "presence" about it, but to my mind nothing of note really happened.
The following day all our team arrived and we did our investigations through the Tuesday night.
I will do a separate post about things that happened on that night.

However far as paranormal activity goes, most of the activity happened in the two nights following the vigils, after the team had gone. The first night after the vigils me and Tom were sitting in the Great Hall (lounge) while Chatelaine was in the kitchen with our dogs, which is at one end of the building, and at the opposite end is the section where the entrance is, and the most haunted sections such as the Queen's Room, the Chapel and a floor above... stairwell leading up to this from a large ante chamber/hall.
This section is separated from the Great Hall by a short corridor and a large, solid wooden door.

While Tom and I were sitting there, he had been mentioning how he had heard his name called during the vigils the night before, and he had also said he heard it right in his ear when he went down to the cellars/undercrofts to put some icecream back in a freezer.

However, as I hadn't heard it myself, the natural inclination is to be rather sceptical and suppose that Tom probably heard something LIKE his name being called, or otherwise imagine it, or exaggerate the recall of it. So, I was quite unprepared for actually hearing this myself.

We were both sat there, no other person in the building, and in the middle of nowhere in farm land. Then I clearly heard, as did Tom sitting opposite me, from the direction of the Queen's chamber "Toooo- ooom" .. definitely a woman's call, definitely Tom's name.

What i can say is after this, for the next 2 nights, myself, Chatelaine and Spirit Bear all heard this same woman calling at least 6 more times... either singing, crying, moaning.. or some other variation. Always coming from the same end of the building and up a height, as if she were outside the Queen's chamber, in the Queen's chamber or up above it in the stairwell or room at the top.

This was so obvious to us, I have never heard anything like it in all the time we have done paranormal investigating or stayed in haunted locations. The only explanation to me would be a live person up there hiding somewhere, which I don't think is possible really without us finding out.
At one point i did suspect a cat was up there, or just outside, so Tom went off to investigate outside but found nothing... quite aside from that the sounds were coming from inside the building and high up, not outside.

I think the most bizarre experience we had while staying there over 4 nights was on the last day, mid afternoon.

I was at the sink, in the kitchen washing something up. Tom and Chatelaine were behind me in the great Hall in the lounge, playing a bit of music.

At one point i could hear Jane talking loudly to Tom, the door was slightly open, so I was sort of wondering what she was saying and was trying to hear, and to be honest I was also a little puzzled as her voice sounded so loud and clear, yet it seemed a little "too vivid" and a little strange in some way.

I had my back to the door, and then suddenly Jane was behind me in the doorway (about 15 feet away from me, up a few steps) and she was saying "Can you hear THAT?"
I spun around to see her alarmed face... and something was at that point going through my mind, trying to reconcile what I was seeing with what I was hearing, because I could STILL HEAR Jane talking to Tom behind us, in the Great Hall, while she clearly couldn't be and was staring at me wide eyed and asking me if I could hear the voice.

We both heard it, and it was absolutely unmistakably her voice, no one else's. It was almost like somehow her own voice was getting repeated, things she had said earlier, getting replayed at full voiume and with a 3 dimensional perception to it, from the room.

Unfortunately this only lasted a few seconds and then ceased.
It was after this that we were all sat in the lounge at night and we just sat there listening to this woman calling out and crying, moaning and singing, about once an hour we heard her. So much so, Chatelaine had had enough at one point and just wanted to leave! :)

During those two nights, Chatelaine and I stayed in the Queen's chamber, me in the large double bed and she on a mattress on the floor that we had lifted from the small single bedroom upstairs (she refused to stay there on her own), and Tom was below us in the chapel, with the shared haunted corridor and hall/stairway outside our rooms.

Several times during the last night we were there we were disturbed. First Chatelaine and I clearly heard the heavy door latch lifted and smack down .. on the door to the Great Hall. When I went out I found the door open although we had closed it earlier. I also found the lights on to the upstairs spiral staircase and the lobby upstairs.

We checked if this was Tom and found him very sleepy and grumpy and he had not moved from his bed... knowing he could not move that fast anyway to effect these noises and turn on the light, this was unexplained phenomena.
Within 10 minutes after this, with us all settled down and in bed again, Tom shouted out, ... he had heard someone knocking heavily on the door to his room, the chapel. After checking (no one there) he heard someone trying on the door itself, unsuccessfully trying the latch.

We put the voice recorders on all night after this, in his room, and simply haven't had time do go through all of this but it will be interesting to see if anything unusual has been recorded on this.

I will leave what happened in the actual vigils until another time.

Just have to say we have to go back there. First of all it is just a wonderful place to stay, secondly it is just so active, we seemed to have all this phenomena happen at once within just a few days, ... really a very active place in our view.

This is the door from the lobby (by the chapel and Queen's chamber) to the Great Hall, - from which we heard the heavy latch lift, and which I found open in the night, around 2am

The Great Hall. The door at the back, far left of the room, is the one which leads down 3 steps into the kitchen, where I was when Chatelaine was standing in that door, and from there we could clearly hear her chattering to Tom from within this room.... even though she was not within the room but standing in that doorway!

Steps leading up into the Queen's Chamber. This lobby is outside the chapel (on the left of the picture) and behind the photographer is the short corridor and door to the Great Hall

The Queen's Room. I stayed on my own in this room. Could easily be merely a psychological effect, but there is a garderobe in the far left corner, and I got a strong impression of being watched from it, while lying in the bed. ....
But, this is after all supposedly the most haunted room in the castle

View from within the Queen's Chamber out to the lobby, and spiral stairwell leading up, or directly in front down to the chapel and Great Hall. It was in the lobby where we heard various noises, and found the light on upstairs

Great Hall looking out toward the lobby (through the door) where the Chapel and Queen's room are, and from there a spiral staircase up to a further set of rooms and a bathroom at the top. It was through this door and up into that area where we could clearly hear a woman calling, singing, crying... around 8 times all in all, including several times where we all heard this together.

The chapel.

This is where Spirit Bear was staying on the night where he clearly heard the door knocked hard, and then the latch tried as if someone was trying to enter, around 2am. The chapel leads out to the lobby, and then to the Great Hall or the Queen's Chamber, both of which lead out to the same lobby, supposedly a haunted part of the building.

]Image
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Hinny » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Oh my! This sounds like great fun :) Sadly I don't get to do 'investigations' any more, but I miss it quite a lot - it's great sharing these things with other folk.

GitM did you get any kind of 'feel' for who the calling voice might be? Why do you think something was using the voices of your friends to get your attention? Does it maybe not have a 'voice' of it's own or was it just showing what it could do? Really interesting account anyway, I enjoyed reading it.

One random thought, apropos nothing, but with folk now being able to control their lights, heating etc from their phones it may make tracking down changes in temp and lighting more difficult if anyone less than scrupulous gets involved - I had to give my son in law a slap for messing with the lights when I was babysitting :roll:
Hinny

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:35 pm

No, Hinny, I didn't particularly get any other feel for it... could just hear it loud and clear coming from that Great Hall lounge beyond, and it sounded just like Chatelaine talking away, in a lively way. But instead she was standing in front of me with her eyes agog and shocked/ scared or angry. Of course it was bizarre. Whether it was deliberately mimicking her to cause unease, or if it was just some bizarre phenomena I do not know.

The heating system is pretty normal there, just ordinary radiator system and boiler, and we had the fire going in the Great Hall a lot of the time. No remote controls, that sort of thing is not what the Landmark Trust do, they keep things as far away from the modern world as possible while trying to maintain comfort.

It's a good point for a house with a very modern system though, would be a good way to trick!
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Investigations we've done