The Skirrid Inn 28/2/12

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

The Skirrid Inn 28/2/12

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 pm

On Tuesday 28/2/12,an EG Investigation team consisting of Jane(Chatelaine),Alison(GhostintheMachine),and myself traveled to this lovely 12th century Inn. Arriving about 8:30,we were greeted by the owner,Jeff. We were given the infamous Room # 1,with its sunken bathroom,which is supposedly the most active area in the whole building. Since there were no other guests,Jeff kindly opened up Rooms 2 and 3 for us as well.

After an excellant meal,we returned to Room 1 and prepared to start the vigil. I then commenced to do a series of baseline tests in all 3 guest rooms,as well as a small utility room on the next landing,which had once been part of the condemned prisoners cell. Alison discovered that this room and the sunken bathroom of Room 1 had once been one single room.

No abnormal EMF readings were discovered in any of the 3 guest rooms,and temperatures were all in normal ranges. Room 1 averaged 16-17 C.in the sitting area,and an average of 13.5 C. in the bathroom. Rooms 2 and 3 averaged about 14-15 C. since the heat was not on in either room,and about 13.C in the bathrooms. We also noted that the floors of all 3 rooms were very creaky,so we would have to take that factor into account when it came time to start working in the dark.

As I started down the 6 steps to the condemned cell,my Mel Meter went up to 0.3 Mg's on the third step from the top,which was directly adjacent to the noose of the hangmen's rope in the stairwell. As I reached the next to last step,the meter flucuated from 0.1 to 0.9 to 0.3 Mgs. Inside the condemned cell,which was full of boxes, and debris,a couple of spikes to 0.1 were noted. This room also contained a large and rather noisy heating unit.

As soon as I returned to Room 1,we place EMF meters in various parts of the room,turned the lights off,and commenced the vigil. We took turns calling out,but aside from a few orbs caught on camera,nothing much happened. We then decided to move down into the sunken bathroom. Alison and Jane went into the room,while I stayed on the landing above,where I could see an EMF meter in the sitting room. Alison made contact with two entities. The first was a woman,who stayed only briefly,and who was soon followed by an angry and frightened male spirit,who seemed to have been a prisoner and who was determined to attack the first person who stepped into the cell,with an attitude of:If I have to go,I'm going to take one of you with me. During the time this entity was present,the Gauss meter that Alison was using emitted beeps that sounded almost like an attempt at speech.We also started hearing what sounded like a bird nesting in the roof of the inn,which was unusual,since birds do not usually sing at night,lest they draw attention from predators.

While all this was going on,I started to hear taps and other noises coming from the sitting room,especially near the bed. Some of them seemed to be in answer to the questions Alison was asking. I told the ladies I would take station up there. As the noises I heard kept up,I kept moving towards them until I was standing in front of the bed,facing it. It was then the first of the strange episodes happened to me. Alison had asked me for a temperature reading where I was,and I turned away from the bed to answer her. I then looked in the mirror across the room,and I could see the back-light display of my EMF meter,and it seemed to be moving in a wavering fashion-just the display,not the meter unit itself. Now this could be explained to a defect in the glass,or the fact that I do suffer from a slight shaking in my left hand. But it was weird to see that red light seeming to move of it's own accord. Dismissing the episode as a visual gliche or that I was tired,I turned back to the bed as I heard another noise. I then turned around again,and nearly freaked out when I saw what appeared to be a grey figure in the mirror. Altho I was wearing a grey sweatshirt,it was not my reflection,this figure or whatever it was was much taller than myself.

It was right after this that activity in the bathroom seemed to end,so we decided to move to Room 2. After once again setting up and dousing the lights,Alison again started to ask out,but recieved no response all the time we were in there,except the ladies complained that the room turned very,very cold(to them). My therm indicated no drop in temperature during this time,and I felt very comfortable. It was only at the end of this session that Alison seemed to sense a presence standing just outside the room,a man with a somewhat military bearing,altho this entity refused to speak to us,or to enter the room.

We now decided to forego Room 3,and opted to do a vigil on the stairs leading to the bar area and the landing of the condemned cell. Alison was at the bottom of the stairs,Jane sat on a window seat,and I was in the room itself. We all took turns calling out,but we received no answers and got no readings from any of our EMF meters. As we were all now very tired,we decided to finish up with a vigil in the downstairs bar area. But this also proved to be empty of results,so we decided to end the vigil at 2:30 in the morning.

For myself,I was very happy to finally have the chance to do a PNI at such a well known location. I've revised my first impressions and feel this was indeed a most successful vigil,based on a review of the many photos we took during the vigil,showing numerous and well-defined orbs. I'm sure we will be returning to the Skirrid quite often,and things will kick off for us again on one of those times.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: The Skirrid Inn 28/2/12

Postby karen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 am

Great report Tom. Sounded a pretty spooky place, I would have been shaking like a leaf myself, very brave of Alison and Jane, please post the piccies as they would be interesting too see.
karen

Postby Kroll1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 am

You may not have experienced flying tables, hours of EVP `s and such, but all in all, you had a couple of intressante experiences and measurements, so it sounds to me like mission accomplished

I was watching videos on youtube from Skirrid Inn yesterday and there was especially one with contact with flashlights that was very interesting, you can watch it here if you want:
http://youtu.be/rTP1h6LtlE0
The answer is 42........... ALWAYS 42!!
Kroll1

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Yes, Brian I agree with you absolutely, the investigation was actually excellent - albeit most of our phenomena was in Room 1 and the bathroom there (which used to be the condemned men's cell, next ot the courtrooms). We had some really very good results. There was no explanation at all for the EMF phenomena that was occurring very strongly in direct response to questioning, and what was apparently a "conversation" through the EMF meter, which we have had before at other vigils, but not in quite the same way as this. This time, it was a Gauss meter, and it was not just clicking more or speeding up, but went from absolutely no reading to a very rapid and varied bunch of sounds that resembled talking and which we have not heard before. The Gauss meter was absolutely stationary and not being moved about to cause fluctuations.

At the same time as this was occurring, a whole flurry of knocks and bangs were coming from the bedroom adjacent (room 1) which Tom went to investigate. It appeared that these were also occurring in coincidence with the EMF readings we were getting on the gauss meter, as if it was a supplementary response & affirmation of the questions asked. The fact that Tom then reported he saw an apparition in the mirror, and his degree of surprise at the time, made it a success for me; we don't have apparitions very often in vigils, they can't be summonsed to order.

True, we had far less response in the subsequent vigils in other areas of the Skirrid, but we were tired, and no doubt any spirits were too, or had burned out for now; so I was happy all in all.

Karen, you'd love the place, you must come some time. It's actually just about 20 minutes from our house, - we went back there tonight for a meal with Jeff and Pete, and they loved it. The oldest pub in Wales too, dating from the 1100s.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Brian and Alison:As stated in my report,I've been forced to abandon my first opinion and agree that this was indeed a most successful vigil. As to that youtube video,Brian-fake,fake,fake! If you notice the bald headed guy sitting by the torches,watch how his free hand drops down to grasp his own torch at the exact second the torch goes off on command. I think we are looking at some sort of remote control gimmickry here. And those "English" accents are as phony as a 3 dollar bill-those guys are no more British than I am!
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:00 am

Sounds interesting, will have to take a look at that video tomorrow - been off at the Skirrid again tonight just for a meal with Jeff and Pete & we had another more brief visit to the rooms upstairs with them, as the barmaid let us have the keys again for a while after our meal.

Tom is here, and was watching it but I didn't get to view it properly, the UK accents sounded fine to me & my peripheral hearing, but it didn't have my full attention.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Kroll1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:05 am

Tom:
Glad that you are now satisfied with your results ;)

I didnt analyze the video, but I take your words for it, and since my own accent is thick as a brick I cant tell from their accent if they are Brits or not, so again I must beleive what you say.
Damn, I am tired of fake ghostvideos :evil:
The answer is 42........... ALWAYS 42!!
Kroll1

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:41 am

Re: our own vigil last night, will be good to have a look at our video footage, see if we caught anything. I didn't see anything odd at the time, but when filming you look through a very small screen and often miss things.

Re: that footage link from Brian: just watched it all, (that video). Hmmm...

...Well, my evaluation of it is: first of all they are definitely British accents, Western England or eastern Wales; very common accents around this part of the country. They do sound a little different, so I can understand how Americans or Canadians could be unfamiliar with them, so no offense Tom :)

The coincident clicking: so far as I can tell, it isn't the torch that goes out on the basket that is clicking, it's the one the guy is holding in his hand. He has a torch in his right hand that he is using to see what he is doing while he is moving the other two torches. He turns his off and that is the click, in my view.

I suppose it's possible they could have a remote control for those torches, to fake something - but anyone can say this sort of thing about any PNI footage or "evidence" and that's why none of it will ever be evidence at all. If I were to get footage of Princess Diana on a tricycle biking outside Buckingham Palace tomorrow on my camcorder, a whole army of sceptics and unbelievers would say it was faked, even if it wasn't. The reason is: it's possible it was faked, and I suppose per "Occams Razor" it is more likely to be faked than real: the most obvious explanation is the most likely.

Now, do I know these guys were using remote control: no I don't. Only they know that. Would love to have been there at the time with them. I can only say they look like ordinary torches to me, but who knows.

The only other thing is this is really very rare to have happened, to have such a powerful amount of phenomena, and poltergeist phenomena at that. We usually get EMF fluctuations, knocks bangs or lights, - this sort of thing really doesn't often happen, so that makes me rather sceptical: why would it happen to them when it doesn't happen to anyone else at the Skirrid? Hmm.

On the other hand: I liked their report and their method. I thought the video was very well put together and organised, very clear to see, and they seem to be taking their investigating seriously. Why go to all that bother & effort just to produce fake investigation results?
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Chatelaine » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 pm

I really enjoyed the Skirrid, it's not the most active place, but then again, we've been spoiled in some of the places we've been to in the past, woooo we've seen some amazing things! One thing always to remember of course, is that a location may only have paranormal phenomena at certain times and these times can be rare. However, the Skirrid didn't disappoint. You get a very warm welcome from the landlord, who is very understanding to us paranormalists 8-) and a good dinner to boot!

Anyway, regarding the investigation, I thought it went well. The reactions of the K2 meter and the gauss meter were very interesting and seemed to correlate with some of the ideas we were perceiving. So, a lady in the sunken bathroom or room 1 who likes watching people and was falsley accused of something which lead to her execution...... I wonder if there is any truth in that. I felt that I could perceive a female spirit in that area, who wasn't an angry being, but she did have a grievance in that she was innocent and liked being close to people.

Room 2 was interesting too. Both Ali and myself picked up on a military man, no idea of a time period, but it was strange how both of us had the distinct idea of someone standing outside the door, standing feet apart and hands clenched at his hips. I didn't feel threatened, but could feel that this was a powerful being. I know it sounds mad, but that's what I was picking up and Ali perceived the same thing.

Our time there was great and I look forward to going there again. As always, a location is never the same twice, so who knows what could happen next time! :D
Chatelaine

Postby karen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:12 pm

I will watch the vid and let you know if its a west country accent or no. As I be an expert on such things. :lol:

OK just watched the Vid the accents are Kosher almost Bristolian so definitely West Country. The video looks quite authentic and professionally done too me so will disagree with you Tom on that one. :roll: Probably because they are from my neck of the woods and I'm biased :oops:
karen

Next

Return to Investigations we've done