St. Briavel's Castle 24/6/12

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

St. Briavel's Castle 24/6/12

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:50 pm

On Sunday 24/6/12, an EG team consisting of myself,GitM(Alison),Chatelaine(Jane),LlandaffPete(Pete),and Jeffers(Jeff)traveled to this wonderful site in Gloustershire for an investigation. This 12th century edifice was once a hunting lodge of King John,and is now a youth hostel.

Arriving at 9 PM,we were greeted by the custodian Tom,who gave us a nice tour of the two towers,the various rooms we would be exploring,and the grounds. We set up our camp in The King John Lounge,and while the rest of the team dispersed to roam the various rooms,I started doing the baseline tests in the Lounge. No EMF readings were noted,and the average temperature of the room was 22 degrees C. I then proceeded to The Oubliette Room,so named because there is an oubliette,covered by a locked steel door in the room. When Tom first took us into this room,I did not like it-the atmosphere felt heavy and oppressive to me,tho the others thought the room was OK. On my own,the room seemed normal,no EMF readings and the temp averaged 22-23 degrees C. I also thought I detected one faint tap when I called out.

I then made my way to two adjoining rooms on the top floor called The Hanging Room and The Guard Room. No EMF readings here,temps ranged between 18.8-19.4 degrees C. I heard what might have been a footstep here,but it could have been the room settling.

I then made my way back down one flight to The Prison Room. I had one small EMF spike to 0.5 Mgs here,temps. averaged 19.9-24.0 C. I also got 3 possible taps on the door on calling out. As I left this room,I met up with Jeff,and we decided to try The Oubliette Room again,and here is where things began to kick off. As we stood outside the room,Jeff's K-2 meter suddenly spiked between 10-20 Mgs(lights 3-5 on the meter)indictating dangerously high levels of EMF activity. None the less,we went in,and again the K-2 spiked into the danger zone,then went dead for the rest of the time we were in the room. Jeff and I took turns calling out,and Jeff took numerous pictures,one of which shows a heavy black cloud or mist totally obscuring the oubliette door. The photo of this anomaly is farther down in the report. After awhile,Jeff began to complain of a choking sensation in his throat,while I began to get a stuffed up feeling in my ears,a sensation I would feel several times during the evening.

We finished up in The Chapel,where we got no EMF,temps averaging 20.4 degrees C. It was noted that the floor in this room was very creaky,so we needed to take that in account when we went into night vigil mode. We then returned to the King John Lounge,where we reported our results to the rest of the team,and showed them the photo of the black cloud.

It was agreed that we start the group vigil in the Oubliette Room,since that seemed to be very active. We placed EMF meters all over the room,including 2 K-2's and a Gauss meter on the steel door of the oubliette itself. After turning off the lights,we all went silent as we tried to tune in on what ever entities or energies might be present. After this,Alison started to call out,followed by each of us in turn. It was during one of these that I heard a distinct "uhh....uhh" sound in a male voice,tho no one else in the group heard it at the time. Hopefully it was caught on one of the DVR's or Jane's cam-corder. During this session,there were no EMF readings,temps. were normal,and the numerous light anomalies we caught on camera were easily debunked as dust or insects. Towards tbe end of the session,Jeff again felt the choking sensation in his throat,while I got the stuffed ears sensation. Alison felt her head was wrapped in a thick layer of wool,pressing on her. Other than this,nothing of note was recorded,so we decided to end the vigil in that room,and proceed to one of the rooms upstairs. As we went up the stairs,I heard what sounded like footsteps on the stairs below us. I asked the group to stand still. Jeff and I,who were at the back of the group,again heard footsteps,and what sounded like a female voice. Both of us went back downstairs,but we found nothing.

The vigils in the remaining rooms of the West Tower were absolutely devoid of results,so we decided to take a break,then tackle the Chapel. This was a very large room,with numerous windows set high up on the walls. After setting our meters and recorders,we took our places,and turned off the lights. Alison began calling out,and soon became aware of a man who was not very nice. He seemed to be a priest or a monk who taught children,but abused his trust by abusing and molesting them. During this time I could see a dark figure standing behind the open doors of the Chapel,who seemed to be spying on us. At this point,I started to feel sick-my ears were completely stuffed up,and no amount of swallowing,or trying to pop them, worked. I then began to get a massive headache,so intense it felt like my head was going to explode. Then my stomach starting doing roller-coasters. It got so bad,I had to leave the room with Alison's help. I was so dis-oriented that instead of going into the King John Room,which was right next to the Chapel,I ended up on the stairs leading to the lobby,where I sat on a ledge trying to recover without success. Alison came looking for me and helped me into the King John Room. It took me nearly half an hour to start feeling right. When I was able to get back into the Chapel,the session there had nearly ended,with little more being learned about the pervert priest.

As it was getting late,we decided to finish up in the Hanging Room and the Guards Room. Pete,Jane,and Alison stayed in the Guard's Room,while Jeff and I stayed in the Hanging Room. During the time in there,while Alison was calling out,Jane felt a distinct sense of unease,while Jeff and I were aware of how frigid the Hanging Room was. Other than that,the session was a limp lettuce,and we decided to put an end to the night's festivities. I decided to finish up by doing a short 20 minute solo vigil in the Hanging Room,but I cut it short after only 10 minutes,as I was getting absolutely nothing.

This is a fabulous location,not only for PNI's,but just to relax and take it easy. Because it is so close to our home base in Wales,we will be returning to this location many times in the future.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: St. Briavel's Castle 24/6/12

Postby karen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:38 pm

A 10 min solo vigil was very brave Tom.... are you sure you weren't scared? lol

Just joshing me old mucker. :lol:
karen

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks for that Tom!

Karen, I think Tom was also getting tired, it was about 2:30am when he started doing that last solo vigil.

I have to agree this is a fantastic location, really a gem. It was King John's hunting lodge, from which he controlled the Forest of Dean and the Welsh border, and was a main administrative center for the Crown for hundreds of years, played a key roll in the wars between Stephen & Mathilda, & later was a prison, a court and place of execution, then a school. There is still graffiti from the prisoners in the Prison rooms of the West Tower.

This was just a brilliant place, as we had the entire castle to ourselves for the night, lots of rooms we didn't even get to start doing, as we didn't have time, so we will definitely be going back. We only managed to do 5 rooms out of a potential 20 or so areas.

When we go through all the footage and audio recordings, I'll put an actual transcript of what happened in the whole vigil as usual, as usually things are very different from people's recall than what actually happens at the time so I find it useful to do this from the footage, and then I'll put it on the main website Investigations section.

Just want to correct one thing though: I didn't detect anything about a priest in the Chapel, I didn't get anything and left the room to go see how Tom was doing. I have to say that Tom has done dozens and dozens of these vigils and has never had any physiological phenomena or psychosomatic reactions at all, except once when he felt sick during a cellar vigil in an Inn on Pendle Hill. Tom is just not the one to have this sort of phenomena, so it was very surprising that he reacted so badly in the chapel.

The remaining members of the group apparently continued to call out after me and Tom left the room,and this is when they seemed to get a response about a priest or something, but me and Tom missed all that. We have listened to the audio recordings that happened during that vigil, and it seems like those group members got a lot of activitiy after Tom and I left. All three of them heard a strange sound (as if velcro was being stripped) coming from just behind them at the front of the Chapel, just behind Jane. Shortly after this they were asking questions about a priest and Jane felt the back of her leg pulled and shrieked out (also not something Jane does! We don't have any Kath's in our group at all!). This was interesting.

On listening to the audio footage, there are some very odd noises on the MP3 that we can't work out. There is a very gruff sounding "laugh" or "cough" at one point that doesn't appear to be any of those present, and a few other odd sounds.

Something else about the Chapel: we did get a tour of the castle from the staff member Tom, just for him to show us where we could go and the layout. During our earlier walk-abouts, I did feel this area of the Chapel was the only one "occupied" as I could perceive it at the time. I could feel and sense residual imprints all over the castle, but with the chapel there was a distinct feeling that it was occupied and we were being watched from it - yet it was one of the least "spooky" places, it was light, lots of fairly modern windows, modern furniture, nothing like a chapel really. The rest of the castle was pretty spooky and dark/forboding especially the tower rooms, but I just didn't feel the same "occupied" sense there. Jeff also felt the same way about it, which is why we went to do a vigil there.

Also, about the Oubliette room: when we first went in there 3 of our EMF meters were reacting very strongly in there when placed directly over the Oubliette itself, it was very strange. They were spiking up to the max and all going potty for several minutes. There are no wires or devices around this area at all, nothing to explain it really. After several minutes this activity stopped. We had other EMF meters placed all over the room (about 15 all in all, several different types including more K2s) but none of those reacted at all, only the 3 that were placed over the Oubliette. All our phones etc were turned off and none of us were near these K2s as we were pretty much in a circle around the Oubliette with EMF meters placed around the perimeter and other areas of the room within about 6 feet of these two meters, but only those three were going off simultaneously (one brand new, we put the others next to it to check it wasn't just that one malfunctioning).

Have to diagree with Tom's assessment of the Hanging Room and the Guard Rooms in the tower (the last place we did) as on the audio tape Tom was reporting he saw quite a few strange lights and felt it was very oppressive in there, as did Jeff, - they were in the Hanging Room while we were in the Guard Room. Funny how folk always remember it different after it's over, the actual footage tells you what they really said and seem to forget (not singling out Tom here either, it's happened to all members at some point).
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Have to be honest,I was still feeling quite loopy after my spell in the Chapel,so I may have been confused over some of what I reported in the latter parts of the vigil. I am concerned over that incident,as it is the 2nd time I have been affected in such a manner on a vigil,and I will be honest,I don't like it. I like to think of myself as the strong,skeptical type who simply doesn't react that way no matter what happens.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Thebogeyman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Have read over the reports and there is some fascinating stuff there.

Hope you are feeling better all the same Tom ( ha asks some days after , my apologies )

This leads to a question which I have been pondering over for some time ..... is it at all possible that a person can become " tuned in " to the presence of spirits or more sensitive after a number of vigils ?

Ignoring some of the comments made on certain PNI programmes which have since been discredited I have always had my doubts about such an affect on a person over a period of time. It is y belief that that for sceptic and believer alike if you are going to have an experience .... then it it will happen randomly and when you least expect it.

What a wonderful location all the same.
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Ken:I feel not only is it possible,but in my case definate. When I first starting doing investigations and readings,I had,to my knowledge,absolutely no psychic abilities or awareness. This started to change about 3 years ago,when I became aware that I could smell things that most others in the group could not. Clairgustiance is the technical word for it. In many of these cases,others also began to smell the same things I did,but I seemed to be the first to notice them. Now I doubt that this could be me gaining psychic abilities-since I am 58,I don't think I could gain such abilities at such a late age. Such talents take years to learn and use. But neither can I shrug off these incidents as wishful thinking,power of suggestion,group hynosis,etc. Maybe I am a "late bloomer",I can't really be sure.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Bear

Postby karen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:28 pm

I feel very fortunate that all my previous experiences when I was younger.. (imaginary friends) have now passed. I was told a few years ago by my sister (who just couldn't wait to ring me that night to tell me.. thank you sis.) that a random person whom I don't know, a colleague of my sisters, that I had a natural physic ability and that dead people where queuing up to speak to me. This person told my darling sister lots about me... things she knew about me ..but this person didn't.. which was very convincing to her as I'm not a subject she would chat about in the Post Office. I've been told this before but as the famous line says in The Sixth Sense says ( will change the words to reflex my own personal feeling about this.. " I do not want to see Dead People" thank you very much. I've managed with a little bit of success to ignore these things. I get very spooked quite easily.. but being a stupid person (flight or fight... I fight!!!!) I tend to put on a brave face and pretend I'm not scared... I'm the only person in work willing or stupid enough to go too level A in the dark.. you will laugh at this... I get the keys from the porter.. go down to level A where the morgue is... put the key in the door.. find the lights quick stay for 5 minutes and then get the hell out of there sweating and shaking...lol. By the time I'm back on the ward I've composed myself but inside myself..... thats another story... coward with a yellow streak..... :oops:
karen

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:48 pm

I don't know if it's vigils and doing these that causes someone to become more "sensitive" to stuff.

Personally, I believe we all have these abilities, only in most people what clouds them is a) it's unreal to the person, they block it out thereby and / or deny it if it is happening to them. What is real to a person is basically real. b) I think most people, 99.9%, get mental image pictures, suggestions, emotional restimulation of past events (for them) and other mental phenomena that clouds and messes up these perceptions, so they can't tell the difference between their own mental phenomena and stuff from "outside"; etherial impressions etc. In fact, it's my opinion doing vigils that nearly all the things I hear folk come out with especially when the person is scared or emotional, getting pains and aches and feeling sick etc - is this. This is just my conclusion because of what I know about the mind and how it has its triggers and suggestions.

However, that doesn't change my opinion that these perceptions, sensitivities and abilities exist and belong to each of us, I am convinced they do and that we use them a lot. It's just that I am extremely sceptical when the usual Joe tells me he is feeling emotional and sick or whatever; I think most Joes need to learn to differentiate between their own mind and what they get from elsewhere.

With regard to folk getting these abilities increase in power by doing vigils, or they become more psychic: I think anyone gets what they put their attention on. If someone has his attention on this stuff long enough, either a) he'll get more and more restimulation of his mind and the kind of psychological phenomena I'm talking about (especially if he's inclined to get upset or ill by it all) and b) I think the more he puts his attention on the area of spirits, psychic stuff etc, he will be more likely to get it.

It's like someone who learns a new word, and all of a sudden he sees it all over the place in texts, books, newspapers, shop windows - whereas he'd swear he never saw it before. Or, if he hears a piece of news or music, suddenly he hears or sees it everywhere.

You get and notice what you put your attention on; whatever it is that causes it is another matter.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Return to Investigations we've done