Letchworth Village Cemetary(NQPRG investigation)

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

Letchworth Village Cemetary(NQPRG investigation)

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 am

Last night,about 20 investigators from NQPRG,The Seeker's Club,and yours truly from EG,made our way to the northern-most limits of NYC for an investigation at a locale infamous for Satanic rituals and where one of New Yorks' most notorious mass murderers received his orders to kill-David "Son of Sam" Berkowitz. The place: Untermeyer Park in Yonkers,NY.

However,we were thwarted as soon as we arrived at the location. An outdoor concert had just finished and the place was thick with police. We were told that any attempt to enter the park after its closing could get us arrested for trespassing.

We regrouped and decided to head for a location about 30 minutes north of the city. This was the Letchworth Village Cemetary,which had been disused since 1967.

Letchworth Village was a mental asylum,where people,mostly children,with mental illnesses,Downs Syndrome,and eventually the criminally insane,were housed and cared for. But what started out as a dream and an idea filled with compassion soon turned into a horror story.

Many of the children who ended up here were from wealthy families,who could not endure or permit the social stigma of letting it be known that they had a hopelessly defective child. They brought these unfortunate children to Letchworth,with the understanding that they would never see the outside world again. A sizable donation usually was also part of the deal. Many children were simply left on the doorstep,with no idea as to who they were.

At first,the patients were segregated by the nature of their illness-mentally ill on one ward,Down's syndrome and brain-damaged on another,and later the criminally insane who were locked away in a most secure area of the Asylum. But somehow this sytem broke down,and eventually all the inmates were mingled together without distinction. The insane being the dominant ones,soon made themselves the bosses,and the most horrible crimes were commited-rapes,assaults,murder,against both the weaker inmates and the staff. It soon became over-crowded,and the system broke down completely. Those who died were buried on a remote hill-side,with most only getting a numbered marker for a gravestone. They died as they had lived,alone. The asylum was shut down in 1967.

As to the graveyard,it was an awesome thing to see at first view. After walking along a gravel path,this hillside,with its pitiful markers,was revealed by the light of an orange moon. A memorial wall,with the names of all known to be buried there was used as a hub. There was no gameplan,all the members simply dispersed among the markers to see what they could get with their cameras and meters. My EMF meter did not pick up a single thing for the two hours we were at the site. I concentrated mostly on the markers that had names and dates,and was stunned to see,that with one exception,not one person under those stones had lived much past forty. I saw the graves of children from 4 to 15 who had been buried there. As far as I can tell,nobody else in the group had anything out of the way to report.

We finished up at the memorial wall. One of the members,an interfaith minister,and a medium,believes he made contact with one of the children. He claimed she was holding his hands. The thermometer on my EMF meter indicated that his hands were 2 degrees colder than the rest of his body. She departed,after being sent to the light by him,an experiance which left him quite shaken. After allowing him time to recover,and since it was now well past 2AM,we decided to end the vigil. On the way home,one of the girls who was riding in the same car with me,showed us many strange pictures that she took on the vigil. She caught numerous multi-colored streaks of light,stange mists and shadows,and a picture of one woman which appeared to show her etheric double coming out of her body! We are due to meet up again next week,and I hope those who were in charge of the Digital Voice Recorders caught a lot of EVP's! We are also looking at somehow getting into the asylum buildings themselves,tho they are in poor shape,and most are on private property now.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: Letchworth Village Cemetary(NQPRG investigation)

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Hey Tom, don't know how I missed this report! Thanks for telling us about your night, you going investigating with these guys again sometime soon?
Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Most likely,Jane,we are just now scouting out a few locales.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:04 pm

That's good to hear, keep us posted ;)
Chatelaine

Postby Winnie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Excellent topic Spirit Bear, how lucky are you!!
Ghost Adventures went there and spoke to former care staff it was heartbreaking to hear what was allowed to go on :( If anywhere is haunted that place will be. People actually do unofficial ghost hunts or should i say breaking and entering :? there all the time apparently.
GA caught loads of evidence, a brilliant Shadow figure and some fab evps as i remember.
The building and grounds look so atmospheric and haunting, wow.

Very interesting EMF, Temp, EVP's and Photographic evidence there 8-) good team too! What a great night you had. So sad about all those children though that must have chilled you and every other poor soul that existed there.

I cant wait to hear your report if you gain access to the actual asylum ??? tell me did you ever get back to do your original location?, "The place:Untermeyer Park in Yonkers,NY." where "New Yorks' most notorious mass murderer's received his orders to kill-David"Son of Sam"Berkowitz."

So jealous, brilliant locations
Winnie

Postby skeeter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Wow! What an exciting night!

This isn't the institution that Geraldo Rivera did the special report on leading to it's getting shut down is it? It was one of his first big stories...?
skeeter

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:51 am

Winnie: we have been back to that cemetary several times in the daytime,and we are still catching the most remarkable stuff. The children that are still there are very glad to see us,and they come to be with us,so it's good we can assauge their loneliness for awhile. it is a very peaceful location,and we never feel nervous or scared there. We did manage,during a drive-thru of the asylum grounds, to get into a couple of buildings that had been broken into by vandals. One was an Admin. office,with paperwork,files,blueprints,etc,scattered all over the place. The other seemed to be some sort of training center,where the patients were taught arts,crafts,and other simple tasks. One poignant curio was an old Singer sewing machine,complete with table,sitting in the foyer(strange that no-one had stolen it.) All this while keeping a wary eye out for the security cars that patrol the grounds,but to explore such a place with so much history and sadness attached to it,was worth the risk.

Skeeter-we went back to Untemayer Park one fine day a couple of months ago-not so much an investigation,but a ramble. We looked for the woods where Satanic activity and rituals were alledgely carried out,but could find no evidence of such. However, a ruined building that might have been a gatehouse for the grounds when it was a private dwelling,showed much use as a meeting place for occultists and kids looking to party-pentagrams scrawled all over the walls,along with other graffiti,and beer bottles all over the place. We would defo like to come back here for a vigil at night! :shock:
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Bear

Postby skeeter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:13 am

So this was the place, then? I just have it on the edge of my memory that I saw a documentary about this place not so long ago, which centered around the activities in that part as well as the history and a potential serial killer that emerged in the 1980s that I believe worked there when it was open.

That would be a great place to investigate, though I can see where you would have to probably be extra careful there - not necessarily because of ritual in the gatehouse, but because it seems like a good place to get robbed by the living opportunist!
skeeter

Postby Winnie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks for the update Spirit Bear .... the way you describe it, oh dear those poor kids jeeeze glad you can take heart from the fact that you feel they are comforted by your presence.
I can imagine,... deary me stuff like that sewing machine will stay with you. Well done for braving that btw :shock: security or ghosts hehe :twisted:

As for the other location yikes what a place to go for a sneaky beer,.... wow good luck on your night time visit :shock:

Skeeter, the GA Letchworth episode is being repeated next thursday, worth a watch. I think it shows a USA news reports on it? might just be the one you are referring to. That place stayed open far too long :(

Great location i always thought it would make a really good Live special.
Winnie

Postby skeeter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:11 am

Oh, thanks! I will have to watch it!
skeeter

Next

Return to Investigations we've done