An impromtu vigil at Wayland's Smithy

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

An impromtu vigil at Wayland's Smithy

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:27 pm

This Friday past,my last day on vacation before returning to New York,Jane,Alison,and myself went to Uffington to visit the famous Uffington White Horse hill figure. When we got to the top,the view was not to be believed. We all went thru the ritual of standing in the horse's eye,spinning 3 times,and making a wish. We then started on the nearly 2 mile trek to Wayland's Smithy,a 5500 year old burial barrow that is a magnet for PN groups,Wiccans,pagans and various other New Age types. We brought along an EMF meter and a digital voice recorder. We arrived well after the sun had gone down

The exposed space of the barrow itself contains 3 very small and cramped burial chambers,so small that you have to squat or kneel to be comfortable. Both Al and I took turns exploring the rooms,while Jane remained outside with Holly and Rory,the ladie's Cairn Terriers. After a walk around on the top of the barrow,during which time Al caught several filmy mists on camera,we returned to the entrance of the barrow where Al and I decided to do a small vigil,with each of us sitting in one of the small rooms,which was rather uncomfortable for me due to my bad knees. Al called out,and took numerous pictures,along with recording on her DVR,while I handled the EMF meter. Other than Al feeling some uneasiness about one of the rooms,no EMF spikes were recorded. Hopefully,Al will have picked up a few orbs on camera and maybe some EVP on the recorder. This would be a wonderful place for a larger group to do an investigation.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: An impromtu vigil at Wayland's Smithy

Postby Thebogeyman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Managed to sneak one more in then ?

Excellent location from what you describe.

Hope all is well in your return to New York all the same Tom , the UK media have reported the storm damage has been substantial and will take weeks to recover. Just hope all is safe , take care.
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for your concern,Ken,but it wasn't as bad as first reported. Transit and airports are back to full service,they are getting power back to those areas that lost it,gas is being shipped in. But now they tell us another like storm may be headed our way! :o
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for posting this Tom, yes it was a very atmospheric afternoon and night the other day when we went off to Wayland's sSmithy.

The whole area is steeped in ancient folklore and mystery. There is a large hillfort above the horse, one of the biggest in Britain where on a very clear day one can view over 100 miles into Wales. The horse itself is the oldest chalk figure in existence. Whereas the hillfort and surrounds were previously though to be Iron Age they were excavated by some archeologists around 10 years ago who dated them to much, much earlier, several 1000 years BC, - so you may find misinformation around and about as most publications still have the earlier supposed dates.

Legend has the area associated with King Arthur. Of course the burial chamber is Neolithic, but legend has it the Saxon (sometimes Viking) god Wayland the Blacksmith had a smithy there where he forged 7 swords of power, one of them being Excaliber. It was also said in old times that if you left a penny and an unshod horse at the mound and came back at dawn, you would find your horse shod by the smith.

I always find it seems different each time I go to this area. Sometimes Wayland's Smithy is very atmospheric indeed, othertimes very calm and undisturbed, other times foreboding, even more times just a sense of power and history is there. This time, all was quiet, not much to report except a sense of the past. I will say Jane seemed very nervous and was itching to get away, not liking to have just 3 of us out there in the dark. The dogs were fine, no worries from them.

The only time I really felt different to this was when I first went into the burial mound, and went into the left hand side one (while approaching the door) and went to the back of it in order take a picture of the opposite chamber. It sort of felt like someone was behind me and "get out, not welcome" feeling. This was tangibly not the feeling I had in any of the other two chambers, just that one, which was odd, and then that sense disappeared altogether later on. No responses on EMF or calling out or anything else.

Still have to go through our audio footage.... you never know! :D

Yes, some interesting pics too, when I get a chance I'll put them on here.

They were interesting as it was very dry, no mist at all, yet on a few of the pictures I got some swirly mist and cloudlike patterns that aren't currently explainable to me at the moment. I have seen these before on a few vigils. At first we thought "breath, making this appear in front of the lense. However, I then spent the next 5 or 10 minutes breathing in many different ways in front of the camera, trying to replicate this same effect, to no avail, no mist or clouds at all despite lots of heavy breathing out ( :lol: ). Then, when I stopped doing this and took the pics again, making sure I was slightly facing the other way and holding my breath.. there's the mist again, happened two or three times. Quite odd.

You are right about the connection to PNI groups, wiccans, New Agers etc going to this area, it's a real hot spot for the Old Religion and anything PNI/ interest in other-worldlyness!

This has been the case for a looooong time. When they were excavating the hill fort (just one area inside the gateway) they dug up a large and ancient book/tome on witchcraft, dated from the 1700s. I'm guessing it must have been pretty rotten by then, but maybe they had it encased in something that preserved it. This is obviously recent history as far as this area is concerned, but it shows the connection between the witches, pagans, old religion etc isn't just a modern Wiccan thing.

Here's an example of a group who went there and seemed to have more of an experience:
http://www.castleofspirits.com/stories05/anight.html
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 am

Pretty interesting report from that crew,Al,except for the melodrama about something "loathesome" (how Victorian!)following them. I sensed nothing there that was even remotely negative-I felt nothing but a timelessness and a peace to the area.
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 pm

I have to agree Tom,and in fact all the many times I have been there since a child I cannot recall anything ominous about the place at all. Sometimes it does feel and seem very atmospheric, ancient, even sacred and special, like there seems to be some power about the place and ancient history, other times just peaceful and calm.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks for reminding me,Al,the next time we visit Wayland's Smithy,I must bring my divination tools with me,and lay them inside the barrow. Perhaps the energies there will re-charge them.
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am

You never know Tom, I remember you said it seemed to help when you took them to Dan-yr-Ogof Caves and Twmbarlwm, both similarly very special places.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Return to Investigations we've done