St Briavels Castle Investigation 24/2/2013

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

St Briavels Castle Investigation 24/2/2013

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:51 am

Many members know that we did our second ghost investigation at St Briavel's Castle on the Welsh/English border on Sunday 24th February 2013. We had 8 members present including me, Chatelaine (Jane), Spirit Bear Tom, Karen, Jeff, Llandaff Pete, Yosemite Sarah, and Karen's friend Kim, and we had the whole castle to ourselves until 3am.

St Briavel's Castle is an ancient medievel castle fortress on the Welsh/English border deep yet very high up in the Forest of Dean. It was once the Royal Hunting Lodge of King John, and for hundreds of years was the main administrative center controlling the Forest of Dean and the border into Wales,& was later used as a prison, arsenal for arrow production and storage, a school and is currently a youth hostel.

This was a very enjoyable and interesting event. We decided to make a slight change and had a go at glass divination (just for fun and the heck of it or experimental curiosity, even though most of us are very sceptical and even scornful toward the method, (we were dabbling out of curiosity, some of us even if only to see who could be pushing the glass :D ).

So, opening this thread so we have a place to put all our reports. I will get mine ready in time but there is a lot of material,footage and photos to go through.

So, any comments, reports or ideas about our experience at St Briavels put them here please :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Re: St Briavels Castle Investigation 24/2/2013

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Now that I've had a week to rest and collect my thoughts,here is my contribution to the St. Briavel's vigil. It was good to see all our friends again,it boded well for the night's investigation. But while it had its share of monents,I don't think we caught as much activity as we did at last year's vigil here.

For example: when we went into the oubliette room this time,it did not have the same brooding atmosphere about as it did last time. Nobody was physically effected as Jeff,Alison,and I had been last year,and the opening of the steel door over the oubliette seemed to lessen its menacing appeal. The placement of a fake human skeleton at the bottom was a bit tacky,IMO.

My 2 solo vigils,one in the Hanging and Guard Rooms,and one in the Chapel,where I took sick last year, were frustratingly devoid of results. Altho I am certain that some entity did come into the chapel while I was in there,I received no answers to my questions,nor did I receive any readings on my EMF meter. I can only hope that something was picked up on the digital voice recorder that I used during my time in there. I think we will have to hope that our voice recordings,taken all over the castle by various members,will have caught something,because quite frankly,everything else we tried was a limp lettuce,IMO. Hopefully,our next visit to this lovely place will be a bit more fruitful in terms of PN activity and results.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:23 pm

We did have a lot of seemingly good results in the "prison room" with bizarre knockings that weren't just taps but accompanied with a bang and a vibration ( all seemingly in answer to questions, happening directly after certain questions rather than randomly) and sometimes accompanied by rogue strange EMF meter spike readings when there are absolutely no power sources or anything to explain it nearby, coincident with knockings on several occasions so it felt or appeared like we were getting a "conversation" with an old Gaoler.

Some of this happened when you were out of the room Tom, but it was carrying on for quite a while when you were there, seemingly in the space or area between me and where you were sitting, about 4 feet away from either of us.

Will put the full report up when had a chance to review the footage etc, hopefully there is something recorded, you never know!
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Indeed,Al,it was weird the way that one K-2 meter reacted to your questions,while the rest of them showed no reaction.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:44 am

Yeah, and it was located in the same area where the knocks were coming from, about 4 feet away from me and away from you, no one anywhere near it but the two phenomena were simultaneous and coming from the same place; all the other K2s were located at other parts of the room.

The other thing that was odd was it didn't sound anything like a click or knock you would get from the building or heating etc, but it was accompanied by that vibration and sort of jarring, and as some of the others observed, it sounded like it was coming from inside the wall rather than anywhere on the wall or through the wall from another room, or bit of furniture etc. Very odd.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Thebogeyman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Despite the disappointing result it still looks a stunning location folks and some interesting results.

Was there not similar results regards an alleged poltergeist case where the sound appeared to originate from within the wall ?

http://www.spr.ac.uk/main/news/colvin-a ... st-rapping

Look forward to hearing more about it
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm

This is right Ken, it's a beautiful place and we did get some interesting things.
It's big too, lots of rooms and two towers to do, grounds, chapel, state room etc, so more to go back to. We don't do a full night, just from 8pm til 3 (get too tired after that anyway so just as well).

Re: the sound, funnily enough a family member of mine is conducting some research into this, using high tech sound recording equipment, eventually may see it with the SPR.

Of course in our case we only had our ears and perceptions to tell us this, but equipment as explained in this link has been used which zones in directly on the source of a sound and detected it as emanating from within the wall itself, rather than produced from a knock on the outside. Thanks for putting the link :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Thebogeyman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Aye , I have me uses me :lol:
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Ye dee that Ken!! ;) :D
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Return to Investigations we've done