An Investigation in the Blair Street Vaults

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

An Investigation in the Blair Street Vaults

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 pm

On November 16th past,an EG team of myself,Ken(TheBogeyman)Vicky(Burning Torch)and Ken's son David,did a tour of the Greyfriar's Kirk and Covenanteers Prison,followed by a 6 hour vigil in the Blair Street Vaults in Edinburgh,Scotland.

It was finally great to meet my EG teammates who I've spent so many fabulous hours sharing a laugh with here and on Facebook.

The event kicked off with a brief tour of the Vaults,the guide showing us what rooms we would be investigating during the vigil. Then we proceeded to walk to Greyfriar's Kirk and the Covenanteers Prison,a group of about 25 people,many of whom would not be on the later investigation. I can't speak for my teammates,but I found this part of the evening to be a limp lettuce. The MacKenzie Vault,where I hoped to do a solo vigil,was small and unimpressive, as much of the façade had been removed. The entrance into the MacKenzie crypt itself below has been sealed off,so all we got to see was the foyer where many of the alleged attacks of the MacKenzie poltergiest had taken place. The tour was ruined when the guide had one of her cohorts,who must have followed the group into the area,rush in on us in a silly mask and costume. 8-|

As we were walking back to the Vaults, the 4 of us agreed that if any such nonsense occured during the actual vigil,we would all walk out. Luckily we were spared any more juvenile foolishness.

The Vaults had changed a bit since I was there last. We all congregated in a small room called Meggett's Celler that had tables,chairs,and hot beverages available. Besides the 4 of us,there were about 6 other people on the vigil including Cath,a medium,who told us some of the tales of the spirits that roam the Vaults. What was curious to me at the time,was that the name Mr. Boots never came up,even when we were in his room. There were several Merkat crew who would stay with the groups at all times.

After invoking protection,led by Cath,we did the first vigil as a group. We were shown the main rooms that are available for exploration,including the wine storage rooms,the Cobbler's room,the room of the Black Madonna, and finally ending up at Mr. Boots room,which is easy to recognize due to its white-washed interior. During the time we were in there,we sensed absolutely nothing,nor was there any kind of hostile atmosphere. After the rest of the group moved on to other rooms,we stayed behind,first as a group,then each doing a brief solo vigil,to see if the nasty Mr. Boots would show up. During my time in his room,I let him have it with both barrels-I provoked him,I must be honest. I called him a coward,a bully,and dared him to do something to me. Except for a few brief spikes on my K-2,nothing happened during my time there. The others,who will be adding their reports here,also said they felt nothing while they were in Boots room.

After a break in the hub,we were allowed to go back down and do solo vigils on our own. Vicky had volunteered for Mr. Boots room,and we figured if he was down there in the Vaults,this would be the time he would manifest-alone with one brave girl. Vicky was a trooper,she stayed alone in that room for over 30 minutes,while the rest of us dispersed to other rooms(rest assured,tho,we were not far away from Vicky,if she got into trouble). But nothing happened in that room all the time she was there. Seems 4 EG members were too much for Bootsy,guess he didn't want to play with us,just took his ball and went home. The most active area that we found was a corner in the Black Madonna room(this is the woman who lost a baby in childbirth and now hates all women,especially pregnant ones) I was getting EMF spikes from 2-5 Mgs on my Tri-Field in that one corner. Other than that,the vigil was pretty much devoid of results. But we had achieved our goals-to explore the Vaults and challenge the infamous Mr. Boots.

I just want to thank Ken and David,it was a pleasure finally meeting you,mates! This was a pair of sturdy Glaswegian lads I would want backing me up in a tough place! And Vicky,what else can I say about your bravery? You admitted you were nervous going into the solo vigil,but you stood your ground,and even if Boots had shown up,I'm sure you would have sent him packing in short order! xxxx

The Vault are available for private investigations-I think it would be well worth while for EG to make an inquiry,if it is not too pricey. However,if this was to be carried off,I think we should insist that they make more rooms available to us for exploration.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: An Investigation at the Blair Street Vaults

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Really interesting Tom!!

I'd be interested to know if "Mr Boots" is actually verifiable as an historical character who existed, or if he's just a myth or exaggeration from Most Haunted. Pretty much like John Sage at Chillingham who is just a myth (there is no evidence of him ever having existed).

Regardless of Mr Boots existing or not, I'm sure there is plenty of real history from this squallid and lawless area that would make it haunted... though not to order obvousy!

Very much looking forward to hearing the other accounts from Ken and Vikki!

And photos please!!! :smile:
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Thebogeyman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Yes , it was a quiet night ( again ) but I dont expect results as such and didnt have a high expectation.

Regards the McKenzie Poltergeist well it was very much what I expected in that we only had access courtesy of one of the ghost walks City Of The Dead who have exclusive access. In terms of investigating we had zero opportunity other than a few minutes as everybody departed and took some photos within this chamber

DSC00070.JPG

DSC00071.JPG

DSC00072.JPG

I will eventually have these sorted and on Flicker to all have a look see .... as for future investigation have to ask if there would be any merit in it as in all honesty the location can be locked off but there is to much distraction from the street and surrounds. Maybe combined with other activities within Edinburgh perhaps but I am satisfied to have been there once ... that will do for me for now which is the positive I will take from the negative :roll:

If we had a small number in there instead of the anticipation of a large group and no tomfoolery as the entertainment factor required from the tour then I could see this being a very different place to investigate. One other positive aspect is that we had access to a part of South Niddry Street which I had no idea was accessible to groups and there were some interesting stories of past activity within there.

Regards " Mr Boots " there does some to be some background in there was an individual who acted as a supervisor down there , he was of Highland origin and that he was an unsavoury character ... Mercat do claim to have more information regards his actual identity but hold back on points to cross reference with any activity within this location. I would agree with you GitM , the unfortunate souls who resided there will be unknown due to their status and disposable so we are grasping at straws regards identities.

I will get a report put together as best I can and get it posted on here pronto for debate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby Thebogeyman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Yes .... I buggered up posting those pictures .... I will have that sorted out once I am over the trauma of the day ( :lol: )

Just for the records Tom , I will consider myself a proper EG team member when , and only when , I have been on an investigation with your group ... until then I am strictly amateur hour lol
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Ken: You've earned your EG stripes already! Since I am one of the 3 original members on the site,I think Chatelaine and GitM won't mind too much if I give you a field promotion to Investigator,as well as Vicky and David,you all earned it with your calm courage in a place where many people would be overwhelmed by fear. You 3 can do a vigil with me anyplace,anywhere,anytime! :-bd (*)
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 am

I really enjoyed reading your report Tom. My favourite bit was where the guy tried spooking you all wearing a mask, I can just imagine the unimpressed look on your face :lol:

I wish I could have been with you all, maybe in the New Year we can arrange something special that we can all go along to.

Jane ;-)
Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Chatelaine wrote:
I wish I could have been with you all, maybe in the New Year we can arrange something special that we can all go along to.

Jane ;-)

Jane,I broached that idea to Ken,Vicky,and David. We've been kicking this project around for a couple of years,may I suggest we start the process to make it a reality? A vigil at some location that would have to be readliy accessible to all members who would want to participate,but not empty their pockets at the same time. It would have to be arranged many months in advance,so that members wishing to be part can make plans in time. I have a list of venues that might be ideal-others can add on to this list: 1.Chillingham Castle 2.Castle Keep,Newcastle 3.Baskerville Hall,Wales 4.Derby Jail 5. Pendle Hill Area,Lancastershire 6.Edinburgh,concentrating on the venues on or near the Royal Mile.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Bear

Postby Winnie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Great read SBear :-D Vicki done brilliantly xxx you all did :-D

Cant wait to see all the pics on flicker :-D shame there was not much Paranormal activity but the experience itself must have been really interesting and an excellent adventure 8-)

btw that fella that jumps out at people is pushing his luck ;-)
Winnie

Postby spookynoodles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi that's sounds like a varied night ,i'm glad you all took part in solo vigils, big brave pat on the back for our vicki ,well done .It is a shame you didn't get more evidence , but like Winnie said just the experience of being there was enough despite the silly mask shennanigans .
I would love to visit Derby gaol spirit bear , as i'm Derby born and bred that very much appeals to me , somewhere i have always wanted to go but never quite got there , they all sound fabulous locations but that one especially . :-D
Ken will look forward to viewing the pics when you have the time . thanks for sharing guys xx
spookynoodles

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:35 pm

I would love to visit Derby gaol spirit bear , as i'm Derby born and bred that very much appeals to me , somewhere i have always wanted to go but never quite got there , they all sound fabulous locations but that one especially . :-D

Spooks-I've been to Derby Jail and done the Derby Ghost Walk(not with Richard,tho)and they were very entertaining. The Jail's atmosphere can only be described as grim,and spending some time alone in the total darkness of the Condemned Cell can be frightening. But they fed us well-a jacketed potato covered in beans and cheese,a dish I've come to fancy-I call it a Derby Special.
Spirit Bear

Next

Return to Investigations we've done