THE CROWN INN - LEWES, EAST SUSSEX

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

Re: THE CROWN INN - LEWES, EAST SUSSEX

Postby IvorWilliams » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:14 pm

The Crown Inn has a lot of personal interest for me.
My Great, Great Grandfather died there, painfully and tragically, on Monday 27th Oct 1834.
He was a coach driver (pulled by horses) and the coach had an accident about 5pm on the Thursday 23rd October. He was carried to The Crown Inn where he 'received the best medical attention' but died 4 days later.
There was no known reason for the accident which happened on the corner of the road leading to Offham. That may even be close to Market Lane itself.

Hopefully this year I shall book a weekend at the Inn and stay there to see if I can discover more about this tragic accident.

Maybe the any experiences by members staying there were caused my my G.G.Grandfather?

Thansk
Ivor
IvorWilliams

Postby karen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Wow Ivor... what was the name of your G.G.Grandad?
karen

Postby IvorWilliams » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Henry Strevens. (Born 1805 died 1834)

He use to run a coach company with the Crosswellers from Brighton. Ticket Office was by the Pavillion.
His brother Edwin took it over after Henry died.

His widow then went on to be a 'Turnkey' (Prison Warden') at the Lewes Prison. Not the one there now but the one that was in North Street Lewes which eventually became a Naval Prison.
IvorWilliams

Postby karen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 pm

You certainly did some research on your family tree which is something I do, only occasionally as it can become a bit engrossing and headaches ensue from sifting all the data.

I think you may find the Crown Inn quite interesting and slightly strange for you as your so closely connected in a personal way.
karen

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Ivor, what a fascinating account you give there, and so well researched! We certainly did have a lot happen to us at the Crown Inn, particularly in several rooms, and for only the 2nd time in my life I actually saw an apparition, though this one was in the cellar and not of the time of your Grt Great Grandfather, there have been other apparitions seen at the Crown.

There has been a lot of activity particularly in the upper bedrooms, room 5, 7 and some of those used by staff today. When we were there last I was told by the Landlady that a Gideon Bible in one of the rooms was thrown across the room where one of the long term residents stays, and in Room 7 we experienced similar poltergeist phenomena with a bedspread pulled off me and thrown across the room, and 2 milk cartons were hurled from another place where no one was near. Another man, a barman, told me in his room he had his pillow pulled from under him.

So, there is definitely a lot going on there at times. On the other hand we have been there and sometimes absolutely nothing occurs at all, such as last time we were there a few months ago.

I'm sure if you visited the Crown and spoke to Karen, the Landlady, she would be fascinated to hear from you, and you may be able to find where the coaches came in and some info on the location where the rooms were in those days, where your grandfather may have had his accident and been berthed later on. I do know some of the rooms upstairs were not sleeping quarters but other bars or reception rooms (where room 7 is now, for instance).

Do keep us up with any more information you get

(By the way, on another note, I do find family history fascinating too. My cousin spent years researching ours, and I got hold of a copy of the tree and spent some time going off down to Cornwall and Scotland finding their graves, and I know quite a bit of our history handed down by family. I have never done any research on my own as it all seems a bit daunting, not knowing where to start or what to do, but one of our members Chatelaine has spent quite some time delving into her ancestry like you).
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby IvorWilliams » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Thank you all so much for your inputs. I have written to The Crown Inn to see if they have any information.

I will update you after my stay at the Inn. Hopefully I will 'feel' or 'see' something.

Thanks again.
IvorWilliams

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:55 pm

What a pity, we never heard from Ivor about his stay there. This place will always be of a special significance to me because of the activity we experienced there. It was totally unexpected and still to this day I cannot explain any of it. In my opinion this was the place we had our most extreme phenomena and if the pub was still a safe place to investigate (I am not sure if it is or not at the moment) I would recommend it to any fellow investigator to go and see for yourself.

The landlady isn't that fussed on investigation groups coming in, but you could always do what myself and GiTM do, hire and room, then ask if you can access any particular areas during the night for quiet investigation.

Hope Ivor comes back onto the forum sometime.
Chatelaine

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:51 pm

If Ivor comes back to the forum it will be interesting to hear about his stay.

I know the landlady saw the figure of a man in a brown jacket there by the dressing table, then disappear. Who knows if this was one of the characters we seemed to get from the 18th C, or maybe it was someone later.... Ivor's gr grandad even!
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Chatelaine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:40 pm

What a place this was! I still cannot stop talking about this one, even all these years later. :o The best bit, apart from the polt stuff, was your research GiTM and the findings about the Cluniac monks in the area and the possible connection to the building. Now that was the bit I found most fascinating.
Chatelaine

Previous

Return to Investigations we've done